Back to school

I was in my room getting dressed for my first day of school. High school as a matter of fact. Ugh. I always ask myself: What is the meaning of all this...work? This by the way, is the nastiest 4-letter word of the English language. I had already set out my clothes: A blue/white striped shirt, jean shorts, and black sneakers. Anyways, as I was about to head downstairs to have breakfast, my phone rang. Sighing, I looked at the caller ID, and it was Helen.

"Hello?" I asked, picking up the phone.

"Guess you're feeling a tad nervous huh?" she asked. "Besides the fact that we're the stinking fresh meat in high school?"

"Just another first day of school. Well high school in our case." I replied.

"I wasn't talking about that, I was talking about the mermaid thing." Helen deadpanned. "What if you get splashed and turned into a swordfish?"

"Good point." I squeaked. That's when Rose got on the same line as us.

"How is Ariel here going to get splashed?" she asked with a giggle.

"School's a danger zone, there's a kajillion ways." I pointed out.

"Name one for moi." She announced cockily.

"Water fountains for example, I mean drinking and the actual fountains. Sweat?" Kimi pointed out, apparently gotten on the same phone line.

"Don't stress girl." Helen soothed. "You've been through worse days."

"I'm not stressed. Just worried." I replied. "Oh and Helen? Not helping, but thanks."

"Anytime, fish-femme." She chuckled. I smiled in response.

"Cool. Let's go to the café, we were supposed to be there. Besides, your brother's going to give you some 411 on Suncoast High." Kimi chimed in. Oh dang. I forgot that I was supposed to meet Zac so that he could give me a little orientation of what the freshmen have to go through in high school. He had already given me a "small talk" about high school and its ups and downs. Today he was just gonna give me some tips for the first day of school.

After biking to the Ocean café. I arrived to come across a very weird sight: My brother eating prawns for breakfast. I know that he ate fish on that camping trip, but this was a little strange. But believe me, this was only the beginning of my very strange first day of high school. I walked past 3 girls, who were looking at my brother like they were studying him and I sat down with Evie, Zac girlfriend. Oh did I tease him about his girlfriend. Ah the good old days.

"Hey." I said to her.

"Hey Blair." She smiled at me.

"What's up little sis?" My brother said, with a mouthful of prawns. When I saw him eat one, I nearly gagged.

"You ok?" asked Cam.

"Yeah, I just hate seafood." I replied, my voice straining with disgust.

"You know, I've never actually met anyone who hates fish so much." Evie spoke.

"You already have, sister." I piped up.

After Zac gave me a little orientation about what the first day of high school is, my best friends came in and sat with me. That's when a black haired girl came over to me and noticed my aqua blue gemstone ring.

"That's a lovely ring you have on there." she says.

"I'm Nixie." She smiled as I did. But for some reason her face looked like she was trying to do what a normal human being would do in a conversation. She took one look at my ring and said, "That's quite a lovely ring you got."