The Trident Job

The day of the full moon had arrived. That night, it would go down. I was at Mako Island, with Zac. Cam would be arriving in a few minutes with the gear. I was helping Zac get the trident. Not really though. While he expects me to stall the girls, I was going to help them get to Zac in time to try to stop him, or would I? I hadn't made my choice, yet. Hearing Cam's voice call out, I saw him a few meters away. Deciding to make this quicker, I used my powers to make the water pull him towards the beach.

"Show off." He shouted, reaching the shore. I stuck my tongue out in a childish fasion.

"Zac!" I called to my brother. "Cam's here!"

"You got the gear?" Zac asked, running towards the tinny.

"Why'd you think I'd meet you guys here?" Cam asked rhetorically. And it's not for a picnic."

"You sure this is going to work guys?" I asked.

"Trust me sis, it's a full moon tonight." Zac told me, grabbing some bags. We trekked to the place where "some unlucky mermaid" would trip the wire and get stuck in a tail.

"You know what the full moon does to you, you lose the plot." Cam said in midst of our hike to our spot. "How's this going to work if you're out of it?"

"I almost handled it last time." Zac said.

"Oh, is that so?" I asked, with an eyebrow raised.

"Yeah, I'm getting better with it every full moon." Zac said with pride.

"Zac, it took me months to get over it." I said to him. "I'm not so sure 3 months experience of being a merman is going to help you."

"Don't worry sis, it won't be a problem tonight." Zac told me assuredly.

"That's good to hear man, because you blow it, you know who's going to get the trident." Cam wanred my brother.

"Cam, you seriously think we'll let 3 mermaids beat us to it?" I asked. "The more they try to stop us, the more we're going to make sure they can't."

"Makes you wonder what's so special about it." Cam remarked. "They're so desperate to keep you away from it they'd do anything."

"And that's why I'm going to find out what it does." Zac announced firmly.

We spent the next 30 minutes setting up the booby trap. The plan? It was foolproof! After we were finished with it, we went back to the cafe to chillax.

"3 honey and ginseng shakes, with triple protein booster." Carly said as she handed us our drinks. Carly is Evie's blond best friend. She's a little girly, but is extremely sarcastic even when she works at the Ocean Cafe. "You guys getting ready for a marathon or something?"

"You might say that." I replied. "I reckon it's going to be a big night."

"You bet." Carly remarked. "The Halloween party is going to be wild. Wait until you see my costume."

"You have remembered to get one haven't you?" Evie said walking towards us. "Fancy dress remember?" She emphasized by putting on a witch's hat.

"Don't worry." Zac said to his girlfriend. "I'll get something good."

"Except how are you going to be in 2 places at once?" Cam asked, once Evie left. "Or is that some sort of mer-dude trick?"

"I promised Evie I'd go to the party." Zac reminded the blonde Aussie. "I can't let her down."

"So why did we waste all that time on Mako if you can't even get there tonight?" I asked.

"I figured out a way to do both." Zac whispered to us. "At least I hope I have."