What will it be Zac? Power or Family?

"Zac's onto something." said Lyla, who had called all of us in for a meeting. "He's searching everywhere for it."

"Yes but was he anywhere near it?" Nixie asked in reply.

"No." Lyla said.

"There's your answer." Nixie said. "It's a big ocean and it's a pretty small trident."

"We just need to keep an eye on him." Lyla quipped. "That's all."

"Lyla's right." I spoke. "He's smarter than you think he is."

"I doubt that." Nixie said.

"If there's one thing I know about Zac, it's that he won't give up on this one." I added on.

"Kind of sounds like you're a big fan of his." Nixie sarcastically said.

"Look Nixie, I was stuck with him for 13 years, so I know what I'm talking about. Ok?" I said finally standing up.

After the meeting ended, Mom called for lessons. It was a good thing we were in the grotto, so we wouldn't have to get up.

"Today's lesson, the power of the moon ring!" My mom told us. "Thalassa, may I use yours?"

"Mine?" I asked confused. "But you've got a moon ring can't you use that?"

"I don't like to." Mom said. "I never wear my ring. I took it off when I left the pod and came to live here."

"But still can't you just-"

"It's just a lesson." My mom cut me off. Nervous, I handed her the ring. "It takes years to master the power of the moon ring. Now look at the aquarium. Now focus on the seaweed."

"I'm sorry." Nixie interrupted "Is this about the aquarium or is this about seaweed?"

"Mermaids have the power to become invisible. But we can't hold it forever. Sometimes nature can provide a bit of instant camouflage."

"Like our tails." I chimed in. "A mermaid's tail is bronze to fit in with the coral, and a merman's is blue to mix with the sea. While mine's is silver to blend with the coral or the light reflecting through the water's surface."

"Excellently put Thalassa." Mom said to me in praise. "Couldn't have said it better myself."

"Show off." Lyla muttered in my ear.

"Hothead." I replied.

"Now," my mom continued. "Focus on the ring, meld your thoughts with it, and above all focus on what you want it to do. Unleashing intended energy is crucial." As she gave her instructions, the moon ring glowed with it's light blue light and the seaweed started to rise, overflowing the tank.

"That's incredible!" Sirena exclaimed in wonder!

"Wow." Nixie sarcastically quipped. "I could completely disappear if I was a goldfish."

"A mermaid that can use the moon ring can increase the size of a kelp forest the same way." Mom told us. "Nixie you're up." I paled at the thought of Nixie using a moon ring. Every time Nixie was first to try something, she ended up blowing up something!

"Nixie's going to blow the seaweed up isn't she?" I whispered to Lyla.

"That you can be sure of." Lyla said smiling back at me. Nixie used the moon ring but when she did, instead of growing even bigger, it turned black and crispy.

"You killed it!" Sirena exclaimed, slightly horrified.

"Ok it was my first try!" Nixie said in exasperation.