Story Trivia

Did you know...

The prophecy of the story was inspired when reading Percy Jackson fanfics.

In the early drafts, Blair/Thalie was supposed to be a girl named Amy who was Zac's blood sister who fell into the moon pool a while before Zac became a merman. But a plot twist from the Nickelodeon show, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, inspired a much more dramatic approach to the protagonist's dynamic contrast.

Izi was only 14 years old when she wrote this story.

While this story is released on Wattpad in 2017, this story dates back as far as 3 years.

Although it is not mentioned, Blair/Thalie's birthday is April 15th, 2000. April 15th was the release date for the story in 2014.

Although Mimmi already exist as Zac's blood sister, this was written before season 2/3 of the original series was ever released.

The reason behind Rita having a daughter was because Izi felt that Rita didn't have enough spotlight. 

The betrayal scene in the grotto took about 2 months to render.

The longest chapter to write was Battlelines.

Originally Blair's real name was intended to be Arista. But a few Percy Jackson fanfics, featuring Greek oceanic names, inspired a much more classical approach to the name instead.

Izi read and watched Percy Jackson, H2o, and Mako Mermaid fanfics, books, movies and TV shows to get inspiration and names.

Although it isn't mentioned, Harry Santos is not only of American descent, his grandfather is from Costa Rica.

Thalie's friends are based off of the original 3 girls. Rosalina is based off of Cleo Setori, Stephanie is based off of Emma Gilbert, and Helen was based on Rikki Chadwick. This makes Thalie the Isabella Hartley of the group.

Thalie is the youngest mermaid of the story.

The term "illegal puer" is based off of the term "Mudblood" from the Harry Potter franchise.

Thalassa is actually not just a name, but a Greek word, for "sea".

Real teenage and family issues were established in the story to try to make it more realistic.

A few scenes were removed from the final story, including a Zac meeting Harry Santos for a brief moment.

The explanation of Thalie's "special puberty" took about 2 weeks to render.

The flashback Thalie has when she is 6 years old is a homage to the ending of the episode from season 2 of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, "The Kraang Conspiracy."

Thalie's aversion to seafood was never supposed to exist, but this idea came up a couple months before finalizing the story.

In the original drafts, Thalie was supposed to be 15-16 years old, but this idea was dropped to 14 to bring a younger audience into the story.

In the original story, Thalie was supposed to be full Australian not half, but this idea was changed in order to further explain the prophecy line "Two nations shall conceive a child born from sea and land."

The amount of time it takes for Thalie to transform is a concept of being part of both worlds.

Although it will never be seen, a male half blood's tail is actually green.

Some of the chapters were inspired by episodes from Season 1 of H2O Just Add Water

The power of the Voice was inspired by siren myths.