Rose ~ 6

"Hey Rose?" asks Calypso, walking into my room.

I look up from my phone. "Yeah, mom?" I reply, sliding my phone under my leg. I didn't want her reading what we were talking about.

She sat on my bed next to me. "I want to come with your father to camp, but I told your friend's parents I would watch your friends. I hope you won't be sneaking out to go to Camp so I can go with your father," says Mom with a twinkle in her eyes. Then she winks.

I grin, and return her wink. "We WON'T be sneaking out to go to camp, so you're welcome to go with dad," I say. Calypso grins and wraps me in a hug.

"Thanks, sweetheart," she says, and then rushes out of my room to pack for the trip. I laugh, pulling my phone out from under my leg.

Rose: my mom knows

Bianca: dang it

Rose: But she wants to go to camp as well, so we're pretending she doesn't

Reyna: your mom rocks

Rose: I know right!

Zoë: We should probably pack... I think it's an overnight trip

Rose: okay! Ttyl!

Reyna: bye

I toss my phone onto my bed and grab a bag. I only need a backpack. A small one at that. I toss in two pairs of PJs, five shirts and three pants, undergarments, and toiletries. Oh, and a phone charger. And my phone. Wait. Friday is tomorrow, so I'll probably need my phone and charger before then. Lastly, my red pendant necklace. My mom and dad made it for me. It has a secret button that calms me down, to help extinguish my fire. I sigh, flop back on my bed, and grab my phone.

Rose: done!

Zoë: what?! I haven't even started! I've just been looking for a bag big enough to fit my books...

Bianca: I'm almost done

Reyna: did I leave my makeup bag at your house, Mari?

Mari: no. And I'm almost done packing too

Bianca: I have your makeup bag. I'll give it to you Friday

Rose: so excited for tomorrow!

Zoë: ya me too. Did I leave my dictionary at your house, Reyna?

Bianca: for gods sake, Zo! You don't need to bring a freaking dictionary to Camp!

Zoë: fine

Rose: I'm going out-ttyl

I pocket my phone and tied my shoes. "I'm going out!" I holler, walking downstairs. There was a loud crash, and Leo ran into the room with his head in a chair, holding a baseball bat.

"With a boy?" he asks, glaring murderously at the door. I roll my eyes.

"No. By myself," I reply, walking outside.

The air is cold and crisp as I walk down to the dog park. I sit down on my usual bench, and look around for that dog I love to pet. It's an Australian Shepard. I see it almost immediately. "Hi there, Ginger!" I exclaim, petting it.

"She likes you," says a voice, a male voice, from in front of me. I look up, and I think my heart skipped a few beats. What might have been the most gorgeous boy stood in front of me, with brown hair and green, mischievous eyes.

I said something really intelligent back, like, "Uh."

Hottie smiles. "I'm Asher," he says, sticking out a hand. "Asher Stoll." Something about that name rings a bell.

I shake his hand, blushing slightly. "I'm Rose Valdez," I reply. His eyes get big.

"Like Leo Valdez? Is he your dad?" Asher asks.

I nod.

He smiles wider. "My dad is Travis Stoll. You know, the Stoll brothers? The ones who always pulled pranks?"

"I love pranks," I blurt, then blush.

He grins. "Me too. My mom is Katie Gardner. Well, Katie Stoll. But his maiden name was Stoll. I mean Gardner. I mean her maiden name," said Asher, flustered.

I laugh. "Cute dog," I say, petting Ginger.

"You too," he says without thinking. I raise an eyebrow as he blushes. "Sorry, I'm not good at the making friends thing."

I blush. "So we're friends?" I ask.

"Yeah, um, if you want to be," he stammers. I smile.

"Sure."

"Cool. Are you going to Camp on Friday?"

"Yeah! Are you?"

"Yup!"

"I'll give you my number; text me when you get there," I say, trying hard not to blush.

Asher turns, if possible, redder than me. "S-sure!" he stammers, handing me his phone. I quickly type in my number, and then stand up.

"I gotta go- my dad will freak out if I'm not home soon," I say.

"Bye! See you Friday!" exclaims Asher.

I hurry home.

"Hey, Rose!" greets my mom.

"Hi!" I say cheerfully.

Calypso narrows her eyes. "Did you meet a boy?" she asks.

There was another crashing sound, and Leo broke through the wall, on fire.

"YOU MET A BOY?!" shrieks Leo, running around furiously.

Gods. This was going to be an interesting day.