003: black-eyed susans

ブラック・アイド・スーザンspring

ブラック・アイド・スーザン
spring

Taehyung watched as his co-worker tried to help a customer find the right flowers for whatever the occasion was. Jungkook was frowning, chewing the edge of his bottom lip as he concentrated on what the woman was telling him. He then started talking, giving the woman the opinion he'd formulated using the limited knowledge he possessed. The older male was too far away to hear all the conversation, but little snippets would float over to him here and there. He looked away from Jungkook to hide the look of amusement that had unwilling appeared on his face.

The customer soon walked over to the counter with a bouquet of black eyed susans in her hand. Taehyung turned his amused smile into his friendly 'serving the customer' one, taking the money she handed him. After a quick exchange of money and pleasantries, the woman gone and Taehyung turned to the apprentice.

"Good job." He said as Jungkook walked over to the counter. The younger just rolled his eyes and sat down on the stool, sighing. Taehyung pat him on the shoulder, feeling the boy instantly tense up under his touch. This encouraged him to quickly withdraw his hand. "But seriously, you're doing pretty well."

"All I'm doing is selling flowers. I don't even know what most of them mean."

"Well, the ones you just sold typically mean justice, so that bouquet probably means 'I want justice' or something along those lines." This caused Jungkook to groan and cover his face in his hands.

"It was for someone's birthday; I suggested them because the woman said her friend liked yellow. What is it now, a warning?"

"Well, if it makes you feel better, they can also mean encouragement."

"Encouragement for what? Don't worry, age is just a number you can do this." Taehyung just smiled and walked away from the boy. He skipped past all the flowers until he reached a particular section. He plucked one of the flowers and returned to the counter, crouching down beside Jungkook's stool. The younger ignored him at first, but a few nudges got him looking down at the lilac-haired man.

"Don't give up or lose hope, you're still new here so it's okay if you make a few mistakes. No one's going to judge you, and I bet you that woman doesn't even know what the flower means. But you do now, so here." Taehyung held up the black eyed susan to him. It took a moment for Jungkook to take the flower, staring down at it blankly as it twirled between his thumb and forefinger. "You can do this."

As Taehyung got back up to his feet, he pat Jungkook's shoulder again. He then left, going to go find something that needed doing in the shop; he figured Jungkook needed a little time alone. The younger boy continued to stare at his flower until a noise from the other made him look up and find out what was happening. This distracted him from his lack of confidence, watching Taehyung wander around the shop, and he continued to do this until another customer entered and he decided to try again. Taehyung's words of encouragement floated around his head as he did so, and he found it helped considerably.

ーー*ーー

The small flower sat in a cup that was serving as a vase by Jungkook's window. It didn't take long for it to begin to wilt, but the black eyed susan remained there anyway. Its petals were starting to fall off, collecting on the windowsill. Jimin picked up one of these petals, playing with it as Jungkook chucked all the things off his bed.

"What's this?" Jimin asked, pointing at the flower. Jungkook stopped, a pile of books still in his arms, and frowned.

"It's a flower."

"Yeah but why is it here? Did a girl give it to you?" A teasing tone entered the older male's voice and he smiled. While Jimin had no problem with Jungkook having a girlfriend ー or even a girl friend ー he wasn't going to let up the opportunity to tease him about it. After all, what else were friends for? But, sadly, he was disappointed when the younger shook his head. "Really? So what's it doing here?"

"It's encouragement."

"Looks like your encouragement is dying..."

"That's because when you cut a flower, you basically cut off its lifeline. Plus, you cut off the roots, you leave it open to the environment and anything can get in." The books in his arms were getting heavy so Jungkook placed them back down on the bed. He then walked over to Jimin and the flower. "Taehyung told me the xylaー xylem, I think, is what transports the water and nutrients around a plant. So once you disconnect them from the roots, they can't do their job and the plant starts to die. That's why we need to get new bouquets daily, so the flowers we sell aren't wilted."

"Dude, we learnt about that stuff in Biology. You sat next to me, remember?"

"Was that the term Mijung sat in front of me?"

"Yeah..."

"Exactly. I wasn't paying attention for most of that term." Jungkook turned away from the flower and went back to preparing the bed. "Did you bring a movie or am I going to have to find one?"

"I got one, it seems pretty good. It's called Someone Behind You; ever seen it?" Jungkook shook his head as his friend sat down beside him, setting up the laptop. "Good then. We can both watch it for the first time together."

ーー*ーー
note : I'm glad these chapters are pre-written coz right now I'm suffering some sort of "I can't write anything and anything I try to write is worse than normal" type of block

But at least I have video games to entertain me in the meantime.