008: pink roses

ピンクのばらspring

ピンクのばら
spring

The sounds of well-worn sneakers slapping against pavement echoed through the quiet street. It was still dark and few people were up yet. Occasionally Jungkook would pass a house with a light or two on, but other than that it seemed he was the only person up. Despite the earliness he'd woken to run, the young male felt a rush of adrenaline as he ran; one that woke him up and, unusually, filled him with the energy he was going to need to face another day. He could feel the sweat begin to form, itching as it trickled down his back and made his shirt stick to him. He was going to need a shower when he got back.

Jungkook slowed down to a walk, allowing himself to cool down as he made his way back to his home. As his body cooled, he began to feel the cold morning air. Goosebumps ran up his arms, his sweat only making him more sensitive to the air. Thankfully he wasn't too far from home and soon he was able to jump in the shower. By the time he was out, the sun had risen completely and the rest of the house had woken. He continued to get ready before leaving to go to work.

Hyejin was already there by the time Jungkook got to the store. She didn't give him a chance to even enter the flower shop, dragging him off as she had an 'incredibly important appointment' that she couldn't be late for and wouldn't let an 'amateur flower boy' cause her to do so. She made him walk and talk, an incredibly difficult feat to achieve when half his things required the use of an iPad and the images contained on it.

"Why did they put you in charge of this?" The woman suddenly said as they walked, interrupting him as he described the new batch of options. She glanced at him, disdain filling her expression. "Surely they could have put someone more competent on this job. One of the other two, maybe."

"I―" The young man froze, unsure of what to say. He was insulted, to say the least, but figured he probably deserved it. There was no doubt he wasn't as good as Taehyung or Seokjin, even with his best efforts ― which was what he was doing. "With the limited amount of time we have, we've... we've had to maximise all the time we have. Even if that means putting someone, less competent on the job."

"Well, I'm going to be completely honest with you ― I don't know how hard you're trying right now but it's terrible." Hyejin sighed, fluffing her hair. She'd had a haircut, Jungkook noticed, so her hair now sat just above her shoulders. It looked nice; she looked nice, despite her sour personality. "Now, you've got to understand, this might not be a big deal to you men but for the woman ― especially me ― this is a big deal. I'm probably only going to get married once, twice if I'm unlucky enough to have to remarry. This means that my special day has to be pe-erfect."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't take it personally, I'm just worried that if things continue the way they're going, you might ruin my day. It's just a small thing, but small things can have big consequences." Jungkook nodded, trying to remain as attentive as possible. It was difficult, as they were passing the bakery he'd heard so much about and he really wanted to see the baker. Unfortunately Hyejin was in the road as they walked past, and he didn't get the chance to see anything other than a flash of pink. "I mean, this bouquet and these decorations are what's going to make it into the photos ― the flowers we choose will be what people remember. I don't want to have to look at these pictures with unhappy memories, you know?"