Prologue

My best friend kicked her Jordan's on to her desk without as much as a glance in the teacher's direction for reassurance that he wasn't analyzing her every move as he usually did. 

The fact that Norah Stiller and I had stuck it out as friends this long still seized to amaze me. We were from different worlds; hers a life of traveling to exotic countries every summer, mine hidden in the far corner of my bedroom reading about them. She topped the social ladder as cheer captain; I was somewhere in the middle, weaving in and out of different cliques dependent on my mood. Still, we found that no matter the obstacles laid out before us, we stood strong and remained friends for almost eleven years.

As she stretched herself out in the middle of Home Ec. as if she were lounging out on a towel at the beach rather than the middle of a classroom, I found myself slouching in my seat, hoping that her current position wouldn't attract too much attention, but that was unlikely. Especially since she basked in attention. 

"Why did I agree to take this stupid class?" she groaned, throwing her head back so her blonde hair fell back and spilled on to the boy's desk behind her. He tried to ask her to move, eyes darting toward me in helplessness when Norah didn't answer him, or budge even a fraction of an inch.

I threw my best friend a quick, sideways glance. "You needed the credits because you were gone for a year, Norah."

My reminder earned a quiet huff of frustration out of her as I tried to keep my voice hushed so Mr. Frier couldn't hear me. She sighed and sat upright, relieving the boy behind her of having to ask her to move again.

"Don't remind me." She grumbled, groaning so loud that this time she caught the teacher's attention.

I had no doubt in my mind that it was what she wanted to do in the first place. Mr. Frier had it out for Norah, he had since Freshman year when he'd walked into this room to find Junior Eric Howell feeling her up against the wall behind the middle aged, beady-eyed teacher's desk. 

"Ms. Stiller, is there something you'd like to share with the class?" He questioned, dark eyes hidden behind a cheap pair of thick rimmed, black glasses.

"No, sir. Sorry." She muttered quickly, glancing around us at the class that had turned in our direction at the mention of her name.

"This class is an easy A, we don't even have to show up." She started again once Mr. Frier had turned his back to us. I gave her a look, but didn't say anything.

She wasn't wrong. Home Ec. was the class for jocks to take when they needed to bring their grades up before they could get benched, it was the class everyone took just so they could mess around, do nothing, and still get the credits needed to graduate.

"Would you please just save this for lunch?" I replied under my breath, "I don't want to get in trouble." Norah sighed, mumbling something incoherently to herself as she let her eyes fall back on the teacher. She would give him a forced smile and flip her hair of her shoulder every time he'd glance back at us, as if she were prompting him to send her out of the classroom. 

"As most of you know, I let you guys in on a little secret last week." Norah shot me a confused look at the teacher's words, "For those of you that don't know, we will be starting The Baby Project this semester." I lifted my head in surprise as the whole classroom erupted in groans.

Oh come on, it isn't that bad.

"The Baby Project is something that isn't taken lightly. As simple and ridiculous as it may seem, this project is worth fifty percent of your grade and will give a lot of you the last credit you need to graduate in June." Mr. Frier stood up with an enthusiastic clap of his hands as he spoke, his dark eyes scanning the room.