C.10~ My Love

I probably would have gotten lost in the long, winding, dimly lit hospital hallways if it weren't for Xavier.

Within the first few minutes there, I had already nearly ran into a few walls, but that really could have been because of how nervous I was. I couldn't ever imagine myself being so terrified to meet a little girl, a girl that was ten time stronger then I would ever be.

"That's her." Xavier whispered beside me.

We had stopped in front of a hospital room, pink and purple streamers and balloons taped to the walls and doors around it. I could see a little girl hugging something to her chest inside the room.

"That's my mom." Xavier muttered, referring to the woman standing a few feet away, "Come on." I nodded and hesitantly followed him through the open door.

"Xai!" The girl squealed, grinning like someone who had just won the lottery.

There was no doubt in my mind that they were related. She had the same dimple on her left cheek, the same glistening hazel eyes and the bright smile that lit up her face and the entire room within seconds.

"Mae." He said quietly, pulling her into a hug, "You've gotta calm down, sis. I was here like three hours ago." She set down the stuffed bear in her hands and hugged her older brother tightly. I felt a hand on my shoulder and whirled around to face a middle aged, tall, dark haired woman.

"Oh, you must be Mrs. Morgan." I said, smiling. She nodded, outstretching her hand until I finally got the hint and took it.

"You're. . . Norah?" She guessed, a disapproving look in her dark eyes. I opened my mouth to reply, but Xavier cut me off.

"No, Mom. This is Beatrice, the one that took Lily in." Xaiver responded before I could. I watched as the woman's expression started to change, a smile making its way on to her face, making her look years younger. It made me positive that her kids had both gotten their smile from her.

"Oh! Beatrice, hello!" She gushed, pulling me into a hug. I sent Xavier a questioning look, to which he only shrugged in response too.

"Hi." I replied, not knowing what else to say. After a second she took a step back and nodded at her son.

"Bea, this is Mae. Mae this is Beatrice, Lily's. . ."

"Are you Xai's girlfriend?" Mae cut her brother off, her eyes growing a fraction as she turned to look at me. I shook my head, remembering what Xaiver had said in the parking lot about her not having a filter.

"No. I'm just-"

"Because if you hurt my brother I will personally hunt you down and hurt you. Xai is a delicate flower that must not be broken, do you understand?" I tried to stifle a laugh as Xaiver shook his head and ruffled her shoulder length brown hair.

"A delicate little flower, eh? Would a delicate flower do this?" He fell on to the bed beside her and started to tickle her gently, her face immediately grew red and she busted into a fit of giggles.

"He's such a great boy, Xavier. He really loves Mae. I don't know what he'd do without her." Mrs. Morgan said softly, her eyes darkening with sadness, "He's been her angel the last three years. He was here for her when I couldn't be, when his father. . ." She trailed off, her voice cracking. I reached over and laid a comforting hand on her shoulder, tears stinging my own eyes.

"Mom, Xai got me a present." Mae gasped, ripping the small box from her brother's hand. Xaiver stood up and walked over to me, handing me a box similar to his sisters.