C.16~ Don't Let Me Down

"Xavier." I groaned, trying to catch my breath.

I whirled around to find him pointing at me, one hand still resting on top of his bare knee, his breathing heavy.

"I beat you again, Bea." He responded cockily.

I shook my head as we both turned to face Brice. He was sitting in front of my house with Lily on his lap, playing with a toy.

I'd learned that she was only allowed out for a few minutes, so I'd let Brice bring her out during that time.

It had been almost two weeks since the night we found out about Norah being Lily's mom and, to my surprise, nothing really had changed. The rumors still lingered around school, Norah still gave me the lingering dirty looks whenever she passed me in the hall, and Lily was still my baby.

"Sorry, sis. It looks like Xavier did win again." Xavier slapped his hand only shoulder, leaning forward so he could whisper in my ear.

"I would love my prize now." He gestured toward his stomach, his eyes making their way to mine.

"Nope." I crossed my arms over my chest, "I said that you had to beat me to get any kind of prize. It was a tie." I added quietly.

"Oh, come on! Bea, that's not fair. You're playing head games with me here." He joked, reaching for my arm. I kissed his cheek and heard Brice make inhuman noises behind me.

"Just give him his pizza, Beatrice." He shuddered in disgust."And that's just gross, guys, there's a child present!" Brice cried, "And there's Lily. Get a room!" I pulled away from Xavier, laughing as I shook my head.

"You're eighteen tomorrow, right?" He asked. I could feel the smile fall from my face.

My eighteenth birthday had actually been a little less then two months ago, only a couple weeks after we had taken Lily in. I hadn't wanted to worry or stress my parents and they hadn't exactly remembered our birthday. Brice and I had exchanged presents but that had been it.

"No." I whispered, "My birthday was actually two months ago." I confessed. Xavier tore himself away and stared down at me in surprise.

"And you didn't tell me?" He looked a little offended.

I didn't really see why, it's not like we were actually a couple or anything more than friends.

"It didn't matter. I was worried about Lily." I tried to pull away from his grip on my wrist but he had me to tight.

"Then we'll celebrate it tonight. You, me, and Lily. We can go to a restaurant or something." He said, his eyes looking more green then brown. I nodded slowly, finally able to pull away.

"Sure. If it'll shut you up." He smiled and looked at something over my shoulder.

"Lily!" Xavier exclaimed, jogging over to her.

"Hi, Princess. You know that Mommy is a big tease, right?" He said as he took her from my brother. She looked adorable in her cute Daddy's Little Princess onesie and another one of the ridiculously cute hats Xavier had gotten from Mae at the hospital.

"She promised me a lot, and then she never went through with it. She. .." He walked back toward my house, still talking to her in a baby voice.

"Damn, that boy is whipped." I glanced up at my brother, he was still staring after Xavier as he spoke.

"What?" Is all I was able to respond with.

"Do you see how he talks to that baby? I've never seen an eighteen year old guy talk to a baby like that. And damn, sis. He obviously likes you too." He stood up, wiping his hands on his torn jeans.