C.11~ 50 Feet Tall

Have you ever felt so out of place that you feel that the only logical thing is to just disappear?

Walking into school Monday morning, despite Brice beside me, I had never felt so singaled out in my entire life. I felt as if I were some blacklisted celeberity; every nose was turned up when I passed by, my own head bowed in silence.

"Hey, Beatrice. How was your weekend?" Some redheaded freshman called out, an amused look glistening in her bright green eyes, "Did you sleep with any more guys?"

My lips curled back in disgust at the question, before I was able to let the words sink in entirely.

"Excuse me?" I choked out, feeling my eyes widen a fraction as I stopped dead in my tracks.

"Don't act innocent, sweetheart. Everyone knows all about your little baby. Is it Xavier's?" She giggled obnoxiously loud, earning a few snickers from the people loitering around in the hall.

"Are you that dense?" I blurted before I could stop myself, "You've seen me every day for the last year, how the hell would no one have noticed if I was pregnant?" I brought my hand up and clenched the bridge of my nose in between my finger tips.

I should have known that Xavier would do this, that he'd spread all kinds of rumors. What he said last night must have been a distraction of some sort, to keep me from figuring out something bigger, what he was planning to do.

"Whore." She muttered, acting as if I hadn't said a word, "Who would have thought that Beatrice Lowe was a little slut? God, what a loser." She stalked off, her minions following after her in a hurry, sending me quick glares over their shoulders. I could feel myself starting to back away, my lips parting in surprise as Brice reached out and grabbed my arm.

"Bea, don't listen to that shit. It doens't even make any sense, if you-"

"People will believe what they want to believe." I answered, "They'll come up with theories on how I kept a pregnancy hidden from them for nine months." I shrugged, shaking my head to myself as I spun on my heels and stalked toward the girls bathroom.

"Hey Beatrice, I'll pay you ten bucks to give me a. . ." I shook my head at the jock prying himself from the wall and moving toward me. I flipped him off over my shoulder and hurried into the bathroom, leaning against the cold, marble topped sink and staring at the paper towel roll a few feet away.

"I know it's bullshit, the rumors." Someone said behind me. I looked up, into the mirror and met lifeless, cold blue eyes.

I recognized the girl as Rachel Barnes, the quiet and bitter girl from Band. She had been the only one in school that had ever stood in front of Norah our Freshman year and prompted her to tell everyone the truth, she had called her on her bluff. Something that I, Norah's best friend, had always been afraid to do.

"Norah Stiller is a bitch. She started the rumor this morning." I whirled around to face her, my heart pounding against my chest.

Norah had spread the rumors? My Norah, my best friend? Why?

"You must have heard it wrong. I'm sure Xavier-"

"Morgan didn't do anything, Beatrice." Rachel took her thick, chesnut colored hair and tied it into a ponytail, "Sorry to break it to you, but your best friend is a cold hearted bitch that thrives on seeing people, especially you, squirm. You can't tell me you're so naive that you never saw that." I stared at her for a moment, my hands clenching into fists at my sides.

I had seen it, I had just been so set on being in denial that I ignored it.

"I think she was a little pissed about your little. . . quiet romance with Xavier." Rachel continued when I didn't say anything. I shrugged, not knowing what to say.