Chapter 19

*ONE WEEK LATER*

=Greyson=

“Come with me for a little ride, see the shadows passing by
Look at the sun and see the clouds turn to faces in the sky
We’ve been awake all night, shattered dreams all around
Close your sad, sad eyes we will be safe and sound

Come with me for a little ride, see the shadows passing by
Look at the sun and see the clouds turn to faces in the sky
daydreaming lightly through the rain
all’s forgiven on a summer train” I heard somebody sing softly from down stairs.

I yawned and stretched my arm out in front of me. I ran my fingers through my messy hair and slide of out bed. I tip-toed quietly down the steps, trying to figure out who would be up at…I check my watch, 4:30am. What the heck, I don’t even wake up this early. I crept around the corner and spot Riley sitting on the couch, with her bright blue headphones on her ears. Her head bobbed up and down as she continued to sing.

“Come with me for a little ride, see the shadows passing by
Seems we are a thousand miles away from last night
as you sigh in my ear, kiss the rain goodbye

Come with me for a little ride, see the shadows passing by
Look at the sun and see the clouds turn to faces in the sky
daydreaming lightly through the rain
all’s forgiven on a summer train”

Her voice was so pure and angel-like. I loved how she hit every note perfectly. I walked up behind her and tapped her shoulder. She screamed and spun around, crashing into my chest. I covered her mouth with my hand, waiting for her to stop screaming.

“Oh my God, Greyson you almost gave me a heart attack!” She gasped.

“I’m sorry, I just heard you singing so I decided to see what was up.” I smiled.

She blushed a little, “Nothing, just listening to your songs.”

“Which one is you favorite song?” I asked.

She smiled, “So far, my favorite is ‘summer train’ I love the lyrics.”

“It’s my favorite too; I love how mellow it is.” I stated. She handed me an ear bud and I stuck it in my ear, so we could both listen to my music.

“Why did you wake up so early?”

She squirmed a bit in her seat, averting her eyes to the ground. “Umm, because I was bored.”

“Don’t lie; tell me what’s really up.” I said firmly, making sure she knew I was being serious.

“Well…my Mom called. And told me that Cancer ran in my Dad’s family, and now my Nana has Cancer and because they didn’t know for a while, they think she’s gonna die really soon.” She said in barely a whisper. Her bottom lip quivered, and her eyes were glistening with tears, “I wanna go home Grey, I wanna go see my Nana.” She pleaded. Tears began to leak out of her dark green eyes, and stream down her cheek.

“Please don’t cry Riley, you can go back home tomorrow to see your Nana.” I assured her, wiping away her tears.

“But, I don’t want to leave you. I want you to be there with me.” She whimpered. I hushed her and wrapped my arms around her.

“Don’t worry, I’ll come with you. And then your friends can go home too.” I whispered softly. She nodded her head and sniffled. She pulled back and looked at my Journey T-shirt.

“I’m sorry,” She sniffled again, “I didn’t mean to ruin your shirt.” I looked down at my shirt and saw two small wet spots on my chest. I chuckled and told her it was fine.

“How ‘bout we go back to bed and then we can talk to my Mom later on.” I suggested and stood up. I stuck out my hand and helped her up from the couch. I held her hand and led her back to her guest-room. Once I opened the door, I saw one bed occupied with piles of clothes, and Jess took over Riley’s bed.