Chapter 27~Let us Forgive

When my eyes finally opened, I didn't expect what was coming my way. Or what was next to me perhaps.

Blake was lightly snoozing on the edge of his bed as if he thought I still needed space. He looked almost peaceful, except for the crease between his furrowed brows. Blake seemed to be distressed, and I knew it was about me. Obviously.

"Gosh," I mumbled. "What happened?" I guess when I was dragged to Blake's car, I finally was able to sleep. And would you look at that? It's already a brand new day.

Slowly, I threw the blankets off me in a hurry. Maybe I could leave this place. Escape...again. And maybe have some luck on my side this time. I tiptoed towards the door, using the last bit of hope I still had left.

And I was only three steps away from the door.

"Where do you think you're going?" a voice asked behind me. I closed my eyes, knowing that escape plan number two...failed.

I turned around quickly, smiling at Blake. "Hello."

Well, he didn't have to know my plans, right? Or my fake smile for the matter.

"Don't dodge the question, Shannon. You're stalling," Blake breathed, sitting up. His hair was what you called a mess from when you woke up. But his eyes were filled with a clean suspicion.

My eyes narrowed as I crossed my arms. "I hate you," I seethed.

Blake rolled his eyes as if what I just said was unexpected. "You can't hate what you have," he stated with a lazy smirk as he crossed his arms above his head. I scoffed as I let out a slight pout.

Clearly, my emotions were on overdrive. "Is that the law now?" I asked. "I come back from almost dying, and they're already starting new rules about hating people." I was only trying to distract Blake—toy with his mind maybe—but I'd be damned if they do have a law about hating a gang leader.

Is that even possible?

In long strides, Blake managed to sit up and stalk forward in my direction. I cowered to the door as he looked at me with fire in his eyes.

"Don't even remind me of that stunt you pulled," Blake threatened. He pointed a finger at me, standing in his usual way to defend...himself.

"Remind you?" I scoffed. "I almost killed myself. I think I'm the one who's most affected in this case."

Blake's eyes narrowed as he pushed me into the door with a bang. I hit my head, muttering curses under my breath. Blake leaned in closer with his unexpressed anger written all over his face.

"Do you know how guilty I felt, Shannon?" Blake whispered in my ear. I shuddered, his breath cascading down my neck. "And to see you so...lifeless. To see you stoop so low..."

My eyes glanced towards the floor as I knew that I crossed the line this time. Blake's arms wrapped around my small figure, embracing me as if he was living through yesterday's memories again.

"What happened?" I asked, yet again. My brain couldn't comprehend all the information that's been going on for weeks. I bit my lip, never considering anyone's feeling except mine.

These days, I've been worried about how I would feel. Without a family. Knowing that I was truly alone for once in my life.

But no one understood. No one seemed to even care about...me.

"Well," Blake said, his voice thundering throughout the room. His glare was still deadly as he stared intensely at me. "I called your name for hours. Mike said you would come back. But you never did."