Chapter 28~Childhood Memories

The swings were my only favorite place to play. Actually, it was the only interesting thing in the backyard. And just because the swings were my favorite, it didn't mean they were fun.

It's getting kind of lonely these days.

Not that I didn't like the outdoors. NO! I loved staying outside. The fresh wind blowing your hair in every direction, the bluebirds singing, and the way the trees moved about.

But I can never share this kind of nature with anyone.

My friends were tricksters. 'Fakes,' is what my mother mumbled to herself. My fake friends were too needy. They thought they could receive the world with a snap of their fingers. But little did they know that the world was an upside ruby that has been turned to black mush. 

I've always loved that expression.

Earth could be beautiful in a strange way. My favorite place in Richmond was Byrd Park. My eyes would always light up seeing the famous fountain with all of its magical lights. At least I believed lights were magical.

Maybe if I became an explorer, I could see the world. Hug some penguins in Alaska, hula dance in Hawaii, and visit that giant statue in Brazil.

And I loved learning about new places. But kids had managed to tease me many times, saying that I was a...nerd. What do nerds even do?

I kicked at the ground, steadying the swing, feeling much lonelier. I couldn't wait until the day Lea would be able to play with me. We'd laugh all day and get chocolate ice cream all over our faces. Just saying: only having your thoughts as a friend, is quite boring.

My non-friends are able to take trips all the way to Paris! And I always wanted to go to this so called tower that everyone talks about. Mommy says I'd go with my future boyfriend or husband.

Maybe that was a silly joke.

Slowly, I wandered back to the outside door that led into the kitchen. Surprising myself, I was able to see through the glass part of the door. But I still had to stand on the tips of my toes.

As I glanced through the glass, my eyes widened in confusion. I couldn't see mommy. Or even Lea. All I saw, were this giant orange and red colors, swirling with the gray fog.

Is this what mommy meant by cooking? Surely, you don't bake a chicken with a full on color show. 

Frowning, I pulled the door open, startled by the smell of gas invading my nose. I felt as if I lost all the color on my face as I started to shake.

"Mommy?"

There was no answer as I kept on calling the only parent I had left.

Gasping, I realized that this was no color show. These were bright flames, trapping my mother, and separating my family and me.

Fire.

In my house.

"Mo—"

My voice starts cracking as I lost the chance to shout mommy's name. I couldn't even hear any voices inside the house. There was none of my mother's soft talks or Lea's cries for help.

Silence.

And I couldn't even move. I pushed to run into the fire by the voice whispering inside my head, hissed at me to stay outside.

Slamming the door in anger, I started to breathe heavily. "HELP ME!" I cried to no one in particular. I was sobbing like a baby—something Lea does often. I gripped the railing of the stairs, not wanting to be separated from my only family.