Dhampires

"You have children?" she questioned wide eyed, pain shot through him.

"Had..." he replied, more pain, "I am the only living person of the Leor blood line today." A twinge of bitterness shot through him.

"I thought you said you'd lost your child?" she wondered as confusion crossed her face, "You never mentioned remarrying after your change."

"I've been married multiple times Aria, and, well, vampires can still conceive; the male ones at least." Such a difficult thing to discuss he thought to himself.

"Why only males...and how...I thought you were like undead."

"Vampire women's bodies cannot change nor grow or expand to bare children and their bodies are frozen in time which renders their eggs useless whereas with us our sperm is still very much alive." He explained then stared at her as she sat quietly waiting for him to continue, "So...we uh...we can still have children with a mortal woman, hence using protection every time we've had sex. These children are what's known as Dampires, they are part human and part vampire, Dampire women can conceive." Pain slowly rose in his core, "I married a woman whom was also named Mina, Mina and I conceived before time inevitably took her." He let out a painful sigh, "For many, many years I was active in my blood line as it continued and expanded and then there became so many that I lost track for a long while however when the big war happened my blood line was all but wiped out..." more pain, and a tightening in his throat, "Uh...my enemies purposely began hunting down and slaying anyone that carried my eternal mark within their blood." Looking away from her he bit back the bitter taste of his venom, just remembering both angered him and bereaved him. He looked over finally as Aria sat there silently staring wide eyed a mixed aura coming from her.

"So, were all your descendants these Dampires?" she finally asked.

"No, the further the blood line spread, the further it watered down per se until the only thing that remained was the mark or the scent."

"These Damp..." she began only for him to cut her off.

"Are very dangerous to carry and conceive." He stated bluntly, a slightly disappointed look crossed her face, "Aria..." he began, "Do you want children some day?" he questioned unsure if it was too early to be asking her that. Getting up she meandered to the fridge and opening it she stared in.

"I don't know...maybe...I've never had any luck conceiving before though..." she mumbled, hesitance and pain in her voice, what had she not told him yet?

Getting up he approached her and wrapped his arms around her closing the fridge as he did so, "What do you mean you never had any luck...did you try to have children once?" he questioned knowing very well he could be touching on a very sensitive subject.

"Tried...no...been pregnant yes..." she mumbled, pain rolling off her, "I lost all 3." She finished in a low voice.

"What do you want out of life Aria...what is your dream?" he questioned, he had a feeling he knew.

"I always imagined I'd be married and have at least one child by the time I was 25..." she sighed, "But...obviously that didn't happen." She mumbled then pulling free she returned to the couch and flipped on the T.V; his signal that the conversation was over.

Turning the T.V off he lifted her and carried her to the bed where he slowly but gently worked towards making love with her once more; in the aftermath he lay there deep in thought tracing nonsensical patterns on her stomach right where her uterus was located. The thought of conceiving with her had grown stronger sense he'd first envisioned what their child may look like and he was almost positive that without bluntly saying it that she had told him she wanted to have children some day earlier.