Time Passed, A Proposal

He walked the length of the hotel dining hall the millionth time it seemed, it was Aria's 35th birthday and he, Colt, and Bastian had been on guard all day; he would be damned if he allowed anything to interrupt his plans for the day. He watched as Bastian approached him slowly.

"Perimeter is clear and..." he began only to be interrupted.

"My Able." A woman's voice called, this voice called to not only his ears, but his heart and to a side of him that was purely preternatural.

"Lillith." He sighed out looking past Bastian, stepping past him he closed the distance quickly, and grabbed up her hand, "My Queen." He mumbled then sunk to one knee and kissed her icy hand; this woman was in many ways his mother and she was the reason he was even alive today, "I am sorry for all the trouble I caused you my lady, and, I am sorry I have waited so long to apologize personally; I was cleaning up my act per se." pulling him to his feet she embraced him tightly and kissed his cheek.

"It is just fine my love." She said, her scent enveloping him, Jasmine and Roses, and beneath that her all powerful blood, "You look peckish, have a sip my darling Able and trust that nothing will disrupt this special day." Shoving him back gently she slid her nail across her wrist the aroma of her flowing blood pushing him over the edge, "Drink my Lost Lord." She whispered then lifted her wrist to him, grabbing it tenderly he sank his fangs in letting out a growling moan as her blood entered him.

Forcing himself to release her he stepped back from her when in truth all he wanted to do was fall into her moonshine blood, "Thank you my Queen." He said with a smile as he saw several of the coven filing into the large room, "She has no clue." He muttered excitedly to himself; he had invited everyone because tonight would be the night.

Linking her arm with his Lillith smiled at him, "Come, stroll with me, you are in a positive tizzy; some fresh air will do you good" nodding he allowed her to gently pull him along.

The balmy air hit him causing him to let out a long sigh; it reminded him of his beloved New Orleans that he hadn't seen in many years. He couldn't keep himself from wondering the state Aria must be in right now at the hands of Pandora's ruthless preparation and transformation for this event; he laughed softly.

"Such a big event for this one darling." Lillith stated bringing his mind back, stopping he turned towards her.

"I...I plan on making her one of us Lillith...will you grant me this blessing?" he questioned which caused her ruby eyes to grow wide.

"They thought you had lost your reason...but...you are quiet serious aren't you...are you sure you can do this my child?" she asked.

"It's scary as hell...but...yes." He replied then quickly continued, "But not today...today I will ask for her hand...and..." he trailed off, "I plan on attempting to conceive with her." He finished feeling his shoulders square, his back stiffen and his jaw jut up slightly.

"Oh, but I see, you are quiet serious and even if I said no your stature tells me that you would challenge me over this." She mused then began circling him.

"You are correct...even if you say no...I will challenge you...and ultimately I will disrespect you and do it anyways...have I not suffered enough Lillith?" he partially stated and questioned. She stepped back in front of him.

"Yes, you have, and if this woman is worth it, if you are willing to sacrifice it all for this woman I cannot do anything but give you my blessings and when your first child is born we will protect that child with our very lives; it is the least you deserve my wounded one." She finished with a faint smile and caressed his cheek gently, then his hair, then cupped his face before she finally pulled him to her for another strong hug; warmth and happiness radiated from within her.

"Thank you my merciful Queen." He mumbled as his excitement peaked; he would finally have it all and he would cherish it like no other.

"It is time; let me meet this lady who has taken your heart by such storm that you're willing to throw all your cards on the table for her." Taking his arm once more they returned to the hotel.

The dining hall was packed by the time they arrived back and he noted that even Aria's boss was there. He knew that Aria would not know most of the people there, but he had taken the effort to invite those that she associated with commonly at least. Making rounds he greeted everyone and checked on the table ware and cake even though only a handful or so of mortals were there; Aria didn't have friends save for those she worked with and the cashiers and manager at their local grocers.

As he stood accessing the cake he clearly heard Pandora's agitated thoughts; Aria was giving her a hassle. Quickly he called for everyone to take their places and turned to light the fancy candles that were made in the numbers 3 and 5. Turning as they entered the room he found himself at a loss for words momentarily at the site of her.

Her hair was done up in ringlets, diamonds glittered about her throat and wrist, and she wore a flowing dress that made him think of a time of Druids and nights filled with witches dancing beneath a full moon. Her nails had been artistically done and she wore glittering slippers upon her feet; she was finally the image of his princess. Coming to his senses he rose his empty glass, the crowed following, then he waved his hand and music began to play; slowly and gently Pandora removed the blind fold and everyone began to sing to her as she let out a gasp and stared wide eyed.

Her eyes grew wider as her face flushed brightly and he slowly approached her, the song coming to an end as he stopped in front of her.

"Happy Birthday ma cherie." He stated staring into her eyes then bowing and kissing her hand softly.

Moments later she sat stiffly, nervously beside him as she stared out at the large crowed.

"I'm sorry cherie, I wanted to give you the best birthday I could" he mumbled squeezing her hand.

"No it's great...it's just...an awful lot of people here to be celebrating something as mundane as a birthday." She muttered, "And all this?" she questioned making a circling motion with her hands in front of her.

He laughed lowly at her to cover the mischievous smile he felt on his face, "You look beautiful though." He smiled again then leaning in he nuzzled her neck, "And god you smell so good." Skillfully he pulled their hands off the table then pressed her hand into his lap.

Her eyes widened and she gasped, "Seriously Able?!" shaking his head he winked at her then leaned in to whisper in her ear.

"When we are alone later you will lose that dress and corset cherie." He whispered then flicked his tongue across her ear as her face flamed, "Shall we dance?"

"I...I can't dance."

"Anyone can waltz when they have the right leader, come."

Scooting his chair back then standing and scooting hers back he led her to the floor where he wrapped his arm about her waist as the center of the floor cleared for them and pulled her close.

"Just focus on my eyes and trust me cherie." He said softly as he led her into the waltz, "See, it's easy." Kissing her gently he sped up their pace slightly and much to his pleasure she let out a laugh.

As the song changed and A thousand years by an artist named Christina Perri started to play he kissed her deeply then spun her away from him; now was the time. Sinking skillfully to one knee he pulled out the box and opened it with one hand before she was facing him again; the music sunk extremely low as a wireless mic he wore concealed clicked on. Her eyes grew wide and immediately teared up as they landed on him and the box.

"Arianna Victoria Fletcher, would you do me the utmost honor of being my eternal partner?" he said as nervousness built higher and higher in his core; for a moment she just stared at him.

Shaking her head she covered her face with her free hand as he slipped the ring on her wedding finger then standing quickly he pulled her to him and buried his face in her hair. Loud cheers erupted within the crowed as she buried her face in his chest; the mic clicked off.

"I love you Aria, thank you for agreeing tomake me the happiest, luckiest man and vampire alive and thank you for merely existing."He whispered to her then tilting her chin up he pressed his mouth to herscausing another loud cheer to erupt from the crowed.

  © Eva Henderson, 2016