20. Freddie + Broken Once, Twice, a Thousand Times [Part One]

Haven't edited, I should be going to school in 45 minutes and I haven't gotten ready, slept tonight or done anything basically.. But I got this finished? xD Haha I hope you enjoy seeing as I'll be dying in school and be getting in trouble for it. Votes and comments for my troubles? D:

Chapter Twenty

Broken Once, Twice, a Thousand Times Part One

Freddie +

“Freddie.”

I think I felt just as happy as Joey looked when our eyes met as he walked in late to Citizenship. Ms. White was trying to talk to him, and I could already hear the previously slightly controlled level of noise in the classroom begin to inch higher. It wouldn’t have taken two guesses to figure out what- and who- people were talking about.

I’d actually just been thinking about Joey. About a thousand and one things… But Joey was like a prominent thought in the congestion of my mind’s eye.

I’m leaving him. Sure, mum said it wasn’t going to be for long, but whatever the duration will be long enough; I just got him. She’d said last couple of months hadn’t she? I wasn’t sure about dad’s exact situation- he didn’t feel he needed to let us know, just dropped the C-bomb on us and let that do the talking. But mum had said simply enough, behind a mask of well hidden pain- that my father didn’t have too long to live at all. It had all been too late.

“Hey, Joe,” I grinned as he made his way over and sank onto the empty seat next to me. My plan through the day so far since I’d seen Mr. Chou after registration, was to think hard about what to say to Joey… How to break it to him that I was leaving.  I had been unsuccessful so far, and despite the misery I held onto, I found that the smile I shot his way wasn’t forced at all.

“Hi,” he murmured when he’d sat down.

“Hi.”

Joey smiled and sat down, and we stared at each other for a moment.

“Hi,” I said again. My boyfriend rolled his eyes and reached a hands into his bag, searching for a moment before extracting a black biro.

“So. What’ve we got left to do?”

“Wait a  moment. I’ll go get a laptop.”

“Do that.”

It took pretty much everything to turn and get out of my chair to get us a laptop rather than lean forward and kiss his softly smiling lip. After walking all the way back and taking my seat, I was still grinning. There was something lethal about Joey, clearly.

“Hey, so what was that thing you needed to tell me?” Joey asked innocently. Only then did my grin begin to fade a little.

“Um,” I opened the laptop and turned it on. Shit, shit, shit- I wasn’t ready. I couldn’t tell him just then. I still didn’t know what to say. I didn’t know if I ever would. “No… I just want you to come over today… If you can?” The more time I spent with Joey before I had to go, the better. I’d only just got him. Joey frowned, confused.

“That’s what you told Mr. Chou?”

Damn it. “Oh, no… I need to tell you something else too, but I can’t --here. I can’t here, I think…” I was messing it all up, I knew this because Joey looked even more confused than before, his eyebrows scrunched up together.

“Um… Okay.”

“Yeah…” Fuck. I couldn’t keep holding it off. Mum said she was registering at that gay conversion camp or school -whatever it was- and I’d probably be leaving in two weeks.