2. Freddie + Fun After All

Chapter Two

Fun After All

Freddie +

‘What an absolute cunt.’ Sherry whispered to me as the bell marking the end of Spanish sounded. I groaned.

‘I know. And he’s my partner all term. It’s so gay.’

Sherry laughed, ‘ironic, huh?’ I nudged her with a smile as we both got up.

‘Shut up.’

‘Okay, okay.’ She glanced up at me as she zipped up her bag and flicked a ginger strand from her eyes. ‘So, are you going to protest or what?’

‘No Sherry, it doesn’t work that way, I’m afraid. This is a GCSE year, I need to focus so I’ll just do whatever I can and hope for the best.’ We were walking towards our citizenship room. Sherry grinned.

‘You are such a wuss.’

‘Yeah, yeah, buy me a pot of pasta for lunch please? I’ll pay you back.’

‘Sure,’ she said as I walked into the room. Miss White was sitting at her desk marking books.

‘Thank you for showing up, Frederick.’ She took off her glasses and looked at me sympathetically. ‘I must say, you aren’t normally so disruptive in lessons. I realise that you were being taunted by Joseph, but you should never let anger overcome you, understand?’ I nodded as I sat down at a desk filled with graffiti. Fuck your mum was carved into it loudly in bubble writing. No thanks, I thought with a smile. ‘I’ll just wait until Joseph gets here, if he does.’ Miss White smiled at me. I raised my eyebrows up and down and began tracing the explicit graffiti over and over again. Five minutes into the detention and Joey turned up. ‘You’re late Joseph.’

‘It’s Joey, Miss,’ he drawled as he pulled up a chair in the desk beside me, purposely dragging it as far away from me as possible.

Mature. It wasn’t like there were several other seats around us… Nope. ‘You wouldn’t enjoy that, would you?’ he smirked, nodding at the ‘fuck your mum’ inscribed onto the table.

I smiled, ‘and you would? I must say, I never pegged you for incest, but each to his own, right?’ He scowled, clearly not knowing what to say to that.

‘Gay.’

‘Loser.’

‘Bastard.’

‘Wiener.’

‘Anal face.’

‘Dick head.’

I muffled a laugh as Miss stood up roughly, accidentally knocking books to the floor. ‘QUIET!’ We both looked at her innocently.

‘Cunt,’ Joey hissed.

‘Fuck up,’ I whispered back. Miss glared us down to silence.

‘You boys will treat each other with respect. If you get nothing out of this project but a mutual understanding, I will be happy. I cannot have pupils harbouring such hate for each other in my class room. It spoils the learning spirit!’ Joey sent me a disgusted glance. I ignored it.  Suddenly she was smiling again. ‘I’m sure that by the end of this, you’ll both find that you even have something in common!’ Joey laughed.

‘Yeah, sure Miss.’

‘No! Really! It doesn’t seem like it now, but trust me boys, as an adult, there have been many people in my day who I have really not enjoyed the company of, but it the end, most of the time, it’s turned out just perfectly!’ Miss White said excitedly, not quite understanding the sarcasm. We were silent. ‘Well, boys, I’m going to pop out for a second, I’ll only keep you here another ten minutes so you can get your lunches. Can’t let you starve after all. I’ll explain the project properly when I get back with you two paying proper attention,’ she said cheerily, before picking up the books, stacking them carefully on the desk and practically skipping out of the room.

For a moment, only the sound of the clock ticking could be heard. ‘I’m not doing a fucking thing.’ Joey said.

‘Oh, but I’ll be too busy making out with some guy in a cupboard to do anything either…’ I sighed, fluttering my eyelashes.  Joey shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

‘Fucking queer…’

‘Queer?’ I smirked, curling my hand in an O shape and miming a hand job, ‘is this queer too?’ Joey’s face reddened as he took out his iPod and stuck his earphones in his ears whilst shuffling his chair so he faced away from me.

‘Fuck off.’

I grinned as I returned my attention to the graffiti on my desk and continued to trace it. ‘Anything for you, partner.’ I was sure he’d heard me, but he only nodded subtly in time with whatever music he was listening to. I looked out of the window with a grin, running my hands through my longish brown hair. This project thing might be fun after all...

X