5. Joey - Unwanted Question Unlikely Answer

Chapter Five

Unwanted Question Unlikely Answer

Joey -

The next day we had citizenship last lesson which was going to be crap as usual, but that little bit extra because I was working with Freddie. When I walked in with Ryan, who smelt badly of fags because he had no time to spray himself before he had to come in, we went straight to our seats. As soon as the lesson began properly, Miss made us change and sit with our partners. Everyone argued all the way to their seats, Ryan shouting the loudest, even though he didn’t really mind his partner. She was a shy girl who had joined our school the year before but she was incredibly fit and Ryan wanted to see her wild side and ‘tap that,’ making me promise not to tell Kelsey each time he told me of course.

‘Hi Joey,’ Freddie said simply when I sat down. I slouched seeing that it was going to be a long lesson. Why did he insist on speaking to me?

‘Hi.’ I muttered under my breath, hoping that I sounded completely disinterested, but he smiled smugly and turned to the front. I swore under my breath and kicked the table leg repetitively. I didn’t understand how he could get under my skin so fucking easily but nothing I did ever seemed to affect him.

‘Are you okay?’ he asked. This time I didn’t reply. ‘Could you stop kicking the table?’ I stopped without meaning to; my toes hurt, but realising he’d asked me to stop, I continued harder, trying not to wince. ‘Thank you,’ he said.

I turned to him, ‘I didn’t stop!’ I protested. The content, sly smile he had on his face showed me that he knew that.

I narrowed me eyes and looked away, ‘fuck you.’

-

As the lesson droned on, we found that miss had booked the laptops for us so Freddie went and got one and then logged on. When he did, instead of the normal blue background that normal people would have had, a big picture of him and another girl come on to the screen with the usual school icons. He had his arm around her shoulder and she was gripping his shirt. They were both grinning widely at the camera. She was beautiful. ‘Who the hell is that?’ I asked, I didn’t even care at that moment in time, she was fit. And he was meant to be gay.

‘Louisiana.’

‘Who?’ I could feel my face scrunch up.

‘My sister, Louisiana,’ he said slowly as if I was a retard, as he clicked on the internet button. I scowled at him. Of course it was. Now that I thought about it, they did look slightly alike.

‘How old is she?’ I wanted to know.

‘Eighteen,’ he said, typing sixth form colleges into Google.  I focused on the table instead of saying anymore to look as if I didn’t care. ‘She wants to meet you,’ he said nonchalantly.

‘What?!’ I whipped my head back to him, ‘how does she know me?’

‘I was talking to her yesterday about you.’

‘Why?’

Freddie stopped what he was doing for a moment and looked at me, a smirk on his face, ‘why not?’

‘You can’t-’

‘Talk about you?’ Once again he was laughing at me. I looked away from him and slouched further in my seat, glancing jealously at Ryan and his shy partner. Their computer hadn’t even been logged onto yet. Ryan was looking deep into her eyes and she was blushing furiously. Fuck that. Why couldn’t I be him? Some guys got all the luck. Eventually I turned back to the computer, refusing to look at Freddie himself. He opened a word document, ‘what subjects are you going to take for A Levels?’ he wanted to know.