9. Joey - Apology Accepted?

Chapter Nine

Apology Accepted?

Joey -

I checked my phone again—fuck. There were four text messages and 2 missed calls from Courtney but still nothing from Freddie. I couldn’t bring myself to answer though. What was I supposed to say? ‘Sorry Court, I’m standing outside Freddie Lewis’ house right now because I’m scared about the text that your fucking bitch of a friend, Kelsey, sent to him and about how he feels about it. Freddie Lewis? Yeah, yeah he’s that gay. No, I don’t know why I care. Yeah, okay, cool, see you tomorrow.’

No.

Fuck.

I looked at the door again, then the time; six thirty two. Kelsey was such a twat. It was all so stupid. I got the text at lunch about Freddie’s address, and Ryan had been playing some game on my phone. He eventually got bored of it and came off. When Kelsey saw that I got a message from Freddie, she snatched the phone from Ryan before he could give it back to me and read it. She must have texted him back all that crap and gave it back to me. For a while I did nothing, not realising and all, but then when lunch was almost done, I wondered why Freddie hadn’t texted me and checked my inbox. Obviously I saw that message and by then Kelsey was laughing and asked if he’d texted back. She was fucking laughing when I checked my sent messages and started trying to text him an apology too, wanting to know if I fucking fancied the guy! What the fuck is up with her twisted head? The bitch! And then the bell went and when I didn’t move while all of them started getting up to leave, a teacher must have noticed I was texting and took my phone away for the rest of the day when I didn’t even get to send the text to explain!  I didn’t talk to Ryan during German at all even though, technically, it was nothing to do with him. I was just too pissed. If I had I might have smashed my fist through him. I didn’t get it, how frustrated and scared I was. Then when the last bell went I ran to the secretary to get my phone back, but of course there was a line of other losers trying to get their stuff back too. By the time I got hold of it, when I called him he wasn’t answering. I texted, called, everything.

I went home after that, couldn’t be arsed to play football with the guys; I was still too pissed. Kelsey would have been there watching Ryan and I’d have killed her. I really think I would. Though I felt kinda bad ditching Courtney as well… but she’d be with the bitch. I wouldn’t be able to hold back.

At home mum was getting ready for two kids called Amy and Alex. She was a nanny/babysitter, and I kinda loved her job. Most of the kids that came over were really cool and I loved being around toddlers and that. They were pretty sweet (I’d never admit that to Ryan, but Courtney knew and she thought it was cute). Mum had wanted me around but I told her I’d have to leave at five thirty to get to Freddie’s house. I didn’t know if he’d still let me, but I had to try.

I’d sat down and watched Finding Nemo with them as mum made dinner before leaving. When I got there (five minutes to six) I’d knocked on the door to get some middle-aged woman in a smart white blouse that was tucked into a hideous, long brown skirt. Her blonde hair was greying, an alternate sign to her leathery, wrinkled skin that she was pretty old. Kind eyes that shone with unshed tears examined me. I half expected that Freddie had given me the wrong address but when I asked she said he wasn’t home yet, and did I want to come in? I’d refused, saying I’d come back later, but I’d just walked down the road and back, sitting behind a tree so I was hidden from the view of the house but could see anyone who came towards it.

I hadn’t wanted to stand in there awkwardly, but now I was getting cold and wandered if I should just go home.

I sat up excitedly when I saw Freddie’s head over the wall that surrounded his house and most of the other buildings in his neighbourhood. I looked at my phone. Six fifty! But he was here-