11. Joey - Charlotte

A/N

Just thought I'd let you know, I listened to "The Fray- Never Say Never and Look After You" on repeat for most of this chapter... :D

---------

Chapter Eleven

Charlotte

Joey –

I brushed Charlotte’s hair gently, careful that I didn’t hurt her as we sat in front of the TV watching Disney Channel.

She was another of my mum’s regulars and actually one of my favourites. Her parents only lived next door, but they were both busy nurses so Charlotte practically lived with us.

‘Ow,’ she squealed and I froze.

‘Sorry Lottie,’ I said, dropping the brush and smoothing her hair down. ‘Are you okay?’

‘Yeah, yeah, that’s alright Joey,’ she dismissed, patting the hand that was on her head. ‘You didn’t mean to do it.’

I laughed, ‘No, I didn’t.’

‘Joey?’ I turned around to see my mum walking in from the kitchen with a tray. On it were two plates of bangers and mash.

‘Hey, what’s Charlotte going to eat?’ I joked as she settled next to us and placed the tray on a coffee table and grinned at me as Charlotte held out her hands for her plate which I placed into them.

‘You get yours when all your homework is done,’ mum said. ‘Go on, up!’

‘Huh,’ I said with a smile as I stood running my hand through Charlotte’s mousey brown hair one more time. ‘Fine, exclude me. I don’t mind.’ I left the room quickly after poking mum’s shoulder and headed up to mine.

I really did love my mum. She never judged anyone and was pretty laid back. She’d always been there for me through everything and was even strong when my dad died in a fire at a restaurant he worked in even though she needed to look after herself. She was there for me even though the love of her life died. I had always been thankful for her for that.

I think, after he died three years ago, it made us closer.

When up there, I sat at my desk and logged onto Facebook. I had maths homework so I got out my maths book too, but I didn’t open it.

Almost straight away a chat box popped up.

Freddie: Hey there.

Me: Hi.

Freddie: How are you?

Me: Okay thanks, how are you? I mean.. Sorry… Other than… you know

Freddie: I said stop apologising. It’s nothing to do with you. I am fine

Me: Okay.

For a while none of us said anything and I started sifting through my notifications. Another ten minutes went past and I finally decided to log off Facebook and do my maths homework.

Me: Gtg now. Cya

Freddie: I know! That’s what I mean, I didn’t know what to do or what he means. Do you think he does want to get back together?

Freddie: Did I tell you he got out the strawberry lube from my bedside table?

Me: What??