ch30

Ch 30 Mrs Lovett's POV

I see the girl walk up to sweeney's shop after anthony and toby leaves. Poor dear went through life without a scrap of motherly affection most of her life. After sweeney was taken away lucy would leave Johanna with me for long periods of time saying she needed to be alone. I looked after that child like she was my own.

15 years ago

It's 11:00 at night two weeks after ben was taken from me,Albert has been dead so i'm left all alone. I sit in the parlor reading my book. Fleet Street is always quiet at this time of night i set the book down marking my page and close my eyes i start to drift off when i hear loud banging on the door.

"What in heavens" i whisper to myself. Who would it be at this hour. I look out the window to see lucy there holding little johana.

"Eleanor could you take her for the night" she asks. She looks a mess her hair is all knotted up and her skin looks almost gray.

"What's the matter dear" i say purposely not answering her question it's not like i don't want to watch johanna but it's already so late and she should be with her mother.

"Just take her please" she cried handing me the poor innocent child. I take her in my arms and start to rock her.

"Lucy what's the matter" i say looking at her confused. Why wouldn't she want to spend every moment with her child.

"She looks to much like him i can't look at her" she says walking out the door it slams shut and johanna starts to cry.

"There there dear calm down" i saw soothingly to little johanna she cries a little while until she falls asleep

"Lucy" i call carrying johanna in my arms as i walk up the stairs i open the door and find no one there. I need to open the shop so i set johanna in a highchair in the kitchen and start to work.

"Are you hungry dear" i say putting a bib on her i bring her a snack and she starts to eat happily. Wear on earth is lucy. I wouldn't think she would abandon the child but it's hard to tell. I clean the child up and start to wash dishes.

"Mama,up" i here i little voice say i turn around and see johanna with her arms outstretched.

"Oh darling i'm not you mum" i say sweetly holding the child. Lucy should be there for this. Im as good as her mom right now lucy's just going through a hard time

"Mama" she says wrapping her little arms around my neck and i kiss the child head. She might as well be my child.

Present

Wiping off the tables i think of little baby johanna treated her like my own i did. She's all grown up now it would seem. I hear the door open and johanna and sweeney come down they both have smiles on their faces.

"I take it it went well dear" i whisper to sweney when johanna leaves the room. I see a small smile creep up on sweeney's lips.

"It did" he replies leaning on the counter.

"How much did you tell her" i ask pouring us each a glass of gin. I hand one to sweney and he takes a small sip.

"Why i killed the judge and that lucy is dead, didn't tell her how she died" he says downing the rest of his glass.

"Thats great love" i say putting a comforting hand on his arm, he nod a bit.

"I have to clean something up in the shop i'll be down later" he states i nod and he walks off to his shop. Probably to pace around and think about lucy. She was a nice person but i never thought she was a good mother.

"Mrs. Lovett" johanna says walking into the kitchen, she really does look like lucy.

"Yes dear" i say looking at her. How hard it must be for sweeney to see her and see so much of lucy.

"You know Mr. Todd is my father right" she asks i little scared the poor thing never got to socialise much being locked up in the judge's house all that time.

"Yes i did i know your father for a very long time" i reply i gesture for her to sit in the booth. She sits and i take the side across from her.

"Then you knew my mother as well" she asks hesitantly.

"I did " i know sweeny didn't tell her much about her and im not sure if i should say. But it might be better for johanna to hear this from another woman instead of him.

"What happened to her" i decide to tell her what i told sweeney when he first came back.

"You have to understand love grief and loss can change people" i say and she nods waiting for me to continue.

"Your parents loved you very much and they were one of the happiest couples but the judge wanted your mother so he had your father sent away. For life" i say reaching a hand out to her

"After you father was sent away lucy was lost she tried to care for you the best she could but.. It became all too much, she couldn't take care of herself let alone you so i looked after you" i whisper starting to cry i think of poor little johanna i would hear her in the middle of the crying her eyes out but lucy couldn't get herself out of bed most days.

" the grove was all too much but the judge he wanted her so one night the bedal called on her to come to his house and.." i says taking a deep breath to calm myself.

"And what Mrs. Lovett" johanna says gripping my hand a little tighter.

"She wasn't the same after, he raped her that night. I was watching you when she came home. She came and got you and went up stairs. The next morning i heard you crying i went up and found here there on the bed, she poisoned herself." i say looking through teary eyes at johanna who is wiping at the tears pouring down her face.

"I always looked after you when you were a babe, i took you in after your mother did until tarpon came, ripped you right out of my arms he did" i say shaking my head johanna was like a daughter to me and the bloody bastard took her, said he could give her a better life. I couldn't fight him so i had to give her up.

"You were like a mother to me" she says smiling through her tears.

"You were like my own flesh and blood, killed me when he took you from me" i say just thinking about that day makes my blood boil. She walks over next to me and sobs on my shoulder, the poor thing has be through so much. I can't help but wonder what she would think about me and sweeney being together.but one thing at a time.

"There there dear" i say stroking her hair gently, i've always wanted kids this might be as close as i ever get.