Chapter22

Anna decided to visit little Asher at the hospital, it's not that she had grown a liking kids all of a sudden but it seemed appropriate after talking to the guys and after Hunter's mom told her. Anna didn't even ask what exactly happened and that was why Ruby was explaining to her.

"Asher took his dog out for a walk by himself. Hunter usually go with Asher but he didn't come over that evening, it was new year's eve-"

Anna swallowed. New year's eve. She called Hunter and he took her to his home.

"Asher had sneaked out with the dog. Witnesses said that he was running after the Max without thinking about the road when he had lost his grip on Max's leash. Then, by the time we went searching for him, the accident had already occurred. We tried calling Hunter but he didn't pick up his phone. Maybe that's why he is blaming himself."

Anna was speechless, it was not Hunter's fault. It was hers. She was the one who had been think about her problems only.

"I'm sorry" Anna blurted out.

"What?"

"If I hadn't call Hunter out that night he would be with Asher and that accident would not happen."

"What do you mean by that?"

"I...Um...I got into a fight with my family so I asked Hunter to pick me up and he took me to his home."

"His home?" Ruby looked surprised, Anna ignored that and nodded.

"Oh. Do you know that he don't let anyone beside his family in that house"

"Really!?"

"Yeah. I knew that boy is smitten when he brings you to our home. He was always wild so I never imagined that he'll ever bring a girl home"

"No. You got it wrong. He's not smitten."

Ruby laughed, "Oh honey. He was so soft when he was with you. We were all surprised. Of course his cousins teased him endlessly about it after he had dropped you off."

"We are just alike so we get along."

"You know he had warned his cousins when he first mentioned you. No wonder the boys were well behaved that day"

"We're not like that."

"Maybe I was wrong" a small smile curved up the corner of Ruby's mouth making Anna wondered what it was all about.

"Well, I better go now. I have someone to meet in an hour. Don't tell Hunter I came and let me know if something happen to Asher."

"Sure, Anna. Come by anytime."

...................

Anna realised that she did not get the heart throbbing feeling she expected when she saw Blake sitting on a bench. Yeah, she felt excited and nervous but it wasn't nerve wrecking.

She postponed the meet because of what happened the previous day. Blake didn't seem to mind it though.

"Hi." Anna said as she sat beside him.

"Anna" he said with a small smile, "I'm glad that you agreed to meet up."

"Uhh... Sorry about that day. For snapping and...other things. You didn't need to hear all of that."

"It's okay. We all have our moments. I'll forget it if you want me too."

Anna couldn't help but smile before the awkward silence started.

"Soo...you're the girl,huh."

"Yeah."

"I'm sorry that I didn't find out even though I planned to that day."