Chapter 2: Tryouts

Taylor's POV

After the national anthem played, I leaned into the microphone to read out the daily announcements.

"Today, the cafeteria will be selling rice balls as a special, $2.50. There will be an athletic council meeting after school, anyone who wants to join is welcome to. Library books are now available to be picked up at the school library. And there will be a varsity hockey tryout for boys and girls tomorrow after school, everyone is invited to come try out." I take a slight pause for effect so everyone can take in all the announcements. "These are all your morning announcements, everyone have a terrific Thursday." I finish, leaning back and turning off the microphone.

I look at the announcement sheet again, taking out a pen from the table. I write the words 'athletic council' on the palm of my left hand so I'll remember to go after school. I've never been on the athletic  council. Maybe it'd be fun.

I take a closer look at the announcement about the hockey team. I've never been on the hockey team, either. Maybe it'd be fun.

Oh, who am I kidding? I haven't skated since I was a kid! And I've never even played hockey before! How would I be able to play on a varsity team.

On second thought... maybe if I learn how to play hockey, it'd look really good on my college application, especially because I've never played before.

I've been on a few school teams since I've started high school; soccer, volleyball, tennis, and track and field. I was alright at soccer and volleyball, but I was great at tennis. I had won when I played freshman and sophomore year, but not enough juniors and seniors played so they had to cancel the team. I was a pretty good runner in track and field, last year I came in 2nd for the 200m dash and 1st for the 400m run. Maybe I'd join track again this year.

Maybe trying out for hockey wouldn't be a bad idea. If I had skated when I was 6, how hard could it be to skate now? I'm sure all I'd need is a stick, and if I can already skate, then skating with a stick would be easy.

As I walk to my homeroom class, I begin to get excited. As president of the seniors, I needed to get involved as much as possible. I've never interacted with the hockey players, if I joined the team, maybe I'd meet some new friends.

I made a plan to go buy some skates tonight on my way home. Then I could go talk to the coach, Coach Jamie, tomorrow. I was excited already.

——

At lunchtime on Friday, I made a plan to go talk to Coach Jamie.

Yesterday night, I went to a sports store in the mall to buy a pair of hockey skates. I needed to ask for advice from the employee because I wasn't sure what I was buying.

I left the cafeteria after I finished my lunch, making my way to Coach Jamie's office. He was the head coach of the hockey team, but he had also volunteered with the old tennis team, so I'm sure he'd recognize me.

I knocked twice on his door. "Come in." I heard.

I opened the door, seeing the coach at his deck eating a bowl of salad. "Hi Coach, my name's Taylor Delaney." I introduced.

"What can I do for you?" He asks.

"I wanted to join your hockey team." I say.

He nods, a smile on his face. "Tryouts are today after school." He says.

"I know... but I have a small problem." I say, trying to figure out the proper way to word this so he'd like me. "I used to skate when I was younger, I was really good, but I've never played hockey before." I start, and Coach Jamie's face falls. "Obviously I'm completely willing to learn and I will try my best to be apart of this team, I'm really determined." I plead.