Chapter 12: Game Day

Taylor's POV

It seemed that I was the only one nervous for the big game. I say the announcements every morning, and one of the announcements was about the game tonight. It wasn't a home game, our first home game would be next week. We played across town at Harding High, their team is called the Vipers.

There were posters everywhere in the school advertising the game. Since the Sharks won last year, we were the favoured team, obviously. This just added even more pressure for tonight.

I assumed that since this was an away game, not many students from our school would show up. Braden quickly assured me that I was wrong, in fact there were a large number of supporters for Grant. Great.

I passed by Noah in the hallway, and he gave me a big high five. I also had passed Tom, who winked at me. Everybody was pumped.

At lunch, I ate at the usual hockey table. Everybody was talking about the game, and apparently the Vipers weren't even a good team. This was obviously good news. Very good news.

During my fourth period class, there was a knock at the door. It was Jonathan.

"Hi," he tells my teacher, walking over and handing her a note. When she's done reading, both look over at me, Jonathan gesturing for me to follow him. I pack up my things, the both of us walking out and down the hall.

"You're gonna get your things in the change room, and bring them out to the bus." he says, and I nod, following him there.

"Do you need my help?" he asks me.

I nod, embarrassed. "Sorry... but I'm kinda nervous." I admit, holding out my shaking hand to him.

"Oh, god." he says, taking my hand. "You're cold, too." he says, looking at me.

I nod. "Don't be nervous, you can't be." he says.

"A little too late for that." I sigh, and he follows me into the change room.

"Wow. Smells good in here." he comments, following me to my locker.

"This room is inhabited by a bunch of girls, what'd you think?" I chuckle. I haul my bag out and over my shoulder, huffing.

"I'll take it." he says, holding out his hand for me.

"You sure?" I ask.

He nods, so I pass him my bag. He doesn't even look phased by the weight of it.

"I assume everyone's already ready?" I ask.

"Yeah, people are already outside loading the bus." he says, and I nod, following him out of the change room and outside.

I spot the bus and a few people gathering around it as everyone puts their bags in the storage space.

"I'll put your bag in, don't worry." Jonathan says to me.

"Are you sure?" I ask, and he just nods, so I thank him, walking over to meet Braden.

"Hey," I smile at him.

"Hey." he say. "Come on,  I grabbed us a seat on the bus." he says, so I follow him on and towards the back. The seat beside it is empty, so I toss my backpack there, sitting at the window seat. Braden slides in after me.

"How are you feeling?" he asks me.

"I'm nervous." I say, curling my legs up.

"I don't want you to be nervous." he sighs. "It's just one game. I think you'll do fine." he says, taking my legs and draping them over his lap. He puts his hand on my cheek, leaning in to kiss me.