Chapter 31: The McDonald's Intervention

Taylor's POV

Friday afternoon with Jonathan had hit me really hard. I was so shocked when he came to my door, he's honestly the last person I expected to see. I felt heartbroken that he had been ignoring me for so long, and when I saw his face, I was conflicted on whether or not I should yell and be furious with him, or be happy that he finally wanted to talk to me again.

I could instantly tell something was up just by looking at him. He looked so different than normal, he looked weak and vulnerable, which was so odd compared to how he normally kept himself. I was worried that something bad had happened and that's why he came, and that was my reasoning for inviting him inside. What I heard from him next was definitely something I wasn't expecting.

I felt absolutely shattered hearing that he was no longer with Maria. They seemed good for each other, especially since Jonathan was so troubled, and he looked genuinely happy with her. The reason for it happening probably killed him, I know it must have. He hates Braden so much, and him being the one that Maria cheated with is just absolutely heartbreaking.

That must've been the reason he looked so different when he came over. I don't know what his breakup had to do with him confessing to me, though. I'm glad he did, but I worried that what he said might mess up any future opportunity for us to be friends.

"It's because I'm fucking in love with you, Taylor, and I had a girlfriend, so I had to get those dumbass feelings out of my brain."

I didn't believe that the first time he said it. How could you believe something like that, especially coming from someone like him?

"I'm in love with you, and I feel like a dumbass for feeling like that, so I separated myself to try and lose those feelings. But nothing happened."

Did it make sense? I don't know. I couldn't see how he could love me. He was depressed around me, but in all honesty, he was depressed around everyone. However, I think I might be one of the only people he opened up to, like ever. He didn't seem like the type of person to open up to just anyone.

Was it likely that he actually was telling the truth? I didn't realize that guys ignored girls and shut them out when they were in love with them... And why would he start dating Maria in the first place if he had liked me? I think I needed some answers. I just didn't think it was a good idea to ask Jonathan about this. So I'd have to ask the next best person — Tom, his best friend.

When school had come around on Monday, I hadn't seen Jonathan at all. This worried me greatly, he was in bad condition, and now he was skipping school? What if he had done something?

"Hey." I heard Cameron before I saw him as he took a seat beside me at the lunch table. I saw Tom sitting around the middle of the table, and down at the other end, Maria and Braden were sitting together. Wow.

"So I talked to Jonathan." Cam said. My head shot towards him.

"You did?" I ask.

"Yeah, last week. It didn't really make a difference, though, I don't really think he cared." Cam frowns.

"What was he saying?" I asked, my heart dropping just at the talk of Jonathan.

"He kept dismissing me, I told you he doesn't like me." Cameron said. "I'm sorry."

"Don't worry." I say, because he actually looked upset.

"He didn't end up talking to you, did he?" He asks. I pause, thinking about how to answer. If I told him that I talked to Jonathan, he'd want to know why, and about what. I think that was all too personal for me to reveal right now.