Chapter 16: Hurt Too

(lol i made a pun with the chapter ! xD also i know that i switch between POV's a lot, but I like that and I think many others do too.. it helps give an insight on the two different characters and you're able to see their contrast just by the way they talk and everything. ALSO i know i haven't updated in forever ahh yikes im sorry okay now carry on reading :) )

Jonathan's POV

I watched the clock intensely, waiting all day. I could barely focus in any of my classes. This is just what hockey did to me.

When it was time, I texted the group chat to let them know to leave class. Instead of physically going to get everyone who wasn't in the group chat like I did last week, I had asked Coach beforehand to make an announcement to dismiss the hockey players from class.

I was the first one in the changeroom, and minutes later, everyone else started to file in. Since we only had two changerooms, the girls had to come into our room to save room for the other team.

Braden wouldn't meet my eye, and obviously I knew why. Things would most likely be awkward between us for awhile, but I didn't really care. I've never liked him anyway. His actions towards me yesterday helped prove my distaste for him.

"Hey." Tom said, bringing his stuff to come sit beside me. I was almost finished changing whereas everyone else was just starting. "Woah. Nasty bruise you've got there." he said, turning to my cheek in surprise.

I could see Braden from the corner of my eye just a few spots away from me, and I noticed his head snapping in my direction after Tom said that.

I shrugged in response. "It's nothing." I tell him.

"So you're good?" he asks to clarify.

"Yeah. One hundred percent." I say, which was the honest truth.

After I had finished talking to Tom, I plugged my earbuds into my phone and put the buds into my ears. I found it helpful to listen to pump-up music before games, especially when I was feeling like this.

As I was tying up my skates, I felt a presence beside me and looked up to see Taylor talking. She was finished dressing as well. "What?" I ask, annoyed as I took out my earbuds to listen.

"Big game ahead." she comments. I nod.

"At least I'm not as nervous as I was last game." she says.

"Cool." I simply say, tying my other skate.

"Can you quickly help me with something?" she asks.

Without looking up, I say, "Can you ask someone else, I'm busy."

I hear her sigh, and I look up just as I finish with my skates. "Are you gonna give me a pep talk? Any quick advice before the game?" she asks, eyes wide.

"Um..." I say, looking around at the changeroom. Everyone looked happy as they finished up with their equipment. "Not really." I say. She sighs, getting up and moving somewhere else.

I sigh, sitting back against the wall. "Jon? A little harsh, no?" Tom says from next to me.

"Not really." I simply say. I resumed my music and leant my head back, my head filled with endless jumbled thoughts.

What felt like 10 minutes later, Coach Jamie came in. Everyone was seated on the benches and immediately quieted down as he moved to the front to talk.

"You know what I expect from you guys, and I know that you expect the same. Play your best game and make yourselves proud." he starts. "That being said... let's not take anymore stupid penalties." he says, shooting a look at both Braden and Tom. "We also need to be more aggressive against the other teams. You guys are getting beat out because you're too soft on the puck." he says. He continues to go off on reminding us what to do and what not to do. I watch as everyone nods intently, everyone looking ready to play.