Chapter 19: Check-up

Taylor's POV

I got plenty of stares as I walked through the hallway, definitely more than usual. I was having a hard time with my crutches, and I was really embarrassed having to walk through the hallway like this. Two people asked me if I was alright, probably students who had saw our game. Nobody saw this coming.

I was beginning to hate having a locker at the other side of the school until I saw Kate. She was coming out of a washroom right as I passed by, walking up to me immediately.

"Hey, girl. How are you feeling?" She asked, a sad look on her face.

"It's not broken." I assure her. "I just feel bad for the team, though. That this had to happen and jeopardize us." I sigh.

"Taylor, I'm not worried about the team. I'm worried about you." She says, keeping her voice down. "How are you?" By now we had reached my locker, so I lean on one of the crutches with one arm and use my free hand to unlock my combination.

"I don't know. It's been hard, but I'm doing okay." I assure her. My dad was home all day yesterday, and after he scolded me for being so careless and hurting my foot, he helped me out around the house.

"That's good to hear." Kate nods.

I finish up at my locker, closing the door. "It's just annoying, having to walk around with these stupid things." I groan, gesturing to the crutches.

"I know." Kate sighs, rubbing my back comfortingly. "Have you talked to Jonathan at all? How's he doing?"

I figured that Kate was going to walk with me all the way to homeroom, which I really appreciated. "Yeah, I talked to him last night." I say. "He really wanted to come to school because of practice tonight. Obviously he can't, though, with his concussion, but he told me he still wanted to play. His cheek's still looking bad, too, after Braden..." I suddenly stop once I notice Kate's furrowed eyebrows. I guess I wasn't supposed to say that.

"What were you gonna say?" She asks.

"Um," I begin, looking around. We were walking slowly, but almost at my class nonetheless. "His cheek's still bruised up." I leave it at that. I had temporarily forgotten that Jonathan hadn't told anybody about what Braden did, and I assumed he didn't want anyone knowing.

"Oh." Kate says. "Maybe you should check up on him when school's finished."

"Yeah, maybe." I nod. I thank her for having come to my class with me, and right as the bell rung, I stepped inside.

I listened as the student who was saying the morning announcements let everyone know that there was another hockey tryout to fill space on the team. It felt like everybody in my class looked at me when he was done talking.

When third period had just begun, I was called down to Coach Jamie's office. He nodded upon seeing me. "Here, come sit." He said. I remembered being in here with Braden on the day we broke up, neither of us being able to sit for that news. But I took the chair nonetheless.

"How are you feeling?" He asked, putting his hands on his desk thoughtfully.

"I'm okay. It's not broken." I tell him.

He nods, a pitiful look in his eyes. "It sucks, Delaney. I'm so sorry."

"Me too." I say quietly, raising my eyebrows.

"I applaud you, though." He says, a small smile surfacing on his face.

I don't know what to say to this, so I change the subject. "Uh, Jonathan's not coming to practice tonight." I say.