Chapter 6: First Kisses

Jonathan's POV

I wasn't much of a leader outside of hockey. I was more of an observer. I watched things happen.

I was pretty good at it, too. For example, I watched as Braden announced to practically our whole math class about his upcoming "date" with Taylor.

"You really scored." Noah nods.

"What can I say? I'm a natural." he shrugs, and I'm cringing at his cockiness.

"We're just going to the movies." he tells the boys.

"A classic." Ben nods. "Can't go wrong with that."

"That's why I had suggested it." Braden says.

I considered saying or doing something, but I know I was in no place to do so. Especially with Maria.

I know that I had told Tom that I would keep my feelings in check if it ever came to that, but I can't help myself with Maria. She's so beautiful and amazing that I don't even want to try and stop myself.

On Thursday at lunch, she asked me to practice with her at the rink. We went, but we didn't practice as much as just fool around. We barely even practiced hockey, just playing games with each other and skating around, making each other laugh. It was great.

On Friday at practice, she was attached to my hip, and I honestly didn't mind. I partnered with her for my drills again, and we played great together. Both of us were being complete show-offs, but it was great.

After I announced that we were going to practice some shooting, Maria came over to me. "Why do I find you so uptight in hockey?" she asks with a smirk.

"I'm not uptight. Just serious." I say, and I can't help but smile back.

"Whatever you say, Captain Serious." she teases. I was about to point out the reference, but I knew she wouldn't get it. This is what I liked about her. How could she be so charming, but she didn't even know?

When practice was over, Coach Jamie skated over to me. "I think I can see now why you think Maria should play first line." He says.

I smile. "She's one of the best on the team, Coach."

"I'll try and work something out." He says, writing something down on his clipboard.

Taylor skates over to us. "We play our first game in two weeks from now. Do you think you'll be ready?" He asks her.

Taylor looks over at me. "What do you think?" She asks me.

"I think so." I shrug.

"Good." Coach nods. "Get her using a stick today."

I nod, and he skates away. Maria skates over to me. "Do you mind driving me home?" She asks.

"I can, but I have to stay for about thirty minutes for practice. Is that okay?" I ask, taking her hand in mine.

She nods. "I'll just wait up in the seats." I nod and watch as she skates off.

"Wait up in the seats?" Taylor says. "She's gonna be watching us, she'll see that I'm not good." Her eyes are wide.

"It doesn't matter. What's she gonna do?" I say.

"I don't know... C'mon Jonathan, you can't do anything to make her leave?" Taylor asks.

"What do you want me to do, Taylor?" I ask, scoffing. "Why are you so against her here anyway?"