Chapter 32: Silent Healing

Jonathan's POV

My eyes were glued to the ball as it moved back and forth between my hands. My ears were tuned in to the music playing on my dock. Heroes started playing, and although I hated to admit it, it was my favourite song by Bowie. I was embarrassed that my favourite was such a popular song, but hey, I couldn't control what I liked. After Bowie came The Ramones, another classic group. I silently applauded myself for my music taste.

"Jonathan." It was Cathy. My eyes shot to the door, my hands still playing with the ball. "Are you okay?" She asked softly, walking in.

I didn't answer, my eyes moving back to the ball.

"Did something happen? Something bad?" She took a seat on my bed.

"I don't really want to talk about it." I say, my voice raspy from having barely talked all day.

"What'd you do by yourself all day?" She asks, rubbing my leg comfortingly.

"Not much." I admit the truth.

"Are you hungry? I can try to make you something, or bring cookies?" She offered.

"I'm okay, really." I say. "Don't worry about me, go do your homework or something." I tell her. She gets off the bed and walks out, leaving my door open.

I stayed in my room, continuing to toss the ball around and hearing my songs play. About a half hour later, I had another visitor. "Jon." I looked up. It was Tom.

He walked in and I sat up a bit straighter. "How are you?" He asked. He took a seat at the foot of my bed.

"Fine." I say. "Why are you here?"

"I just came to check up on you, I haven't really talked to you in awhile." He said. He knew, he had to. Why else would he be here? I didn't answer, waiting for him to talk.

"What happened? Why did you skip school, why are you... so out of it?" He asked.

I couldn't look at him, still staring at the ball. "Maria—".

"You don't have to say it." He cuts me off. "I already know."

"How?"

"Taylor." My eyes shoot up towards him.

"She came to talk to me today." He says.

"You—"

"We went to McDonald's after school. She told me everything."

I think thoughts were racing through my head, but I couldn't tell. I couldn't really tell what I was thinking.

"You saw her this weekend?"

"Yeah." I finally say. "Maybe I shouldn't have."

He shrugs. "Maybe it was good that you did, I don't know."

"What'd she say? What'd you guys talk about?" I asked.

"You. And I don't know, she seemed... confused. She's worried about you."

I scoff. "Isn't everyone?"

Tom sighs. "Jon."

"I'm fine. Seriously." I tell him honestly. "If I wasn't, I'd let you know."

"Okay." Tom says. "So what can I do to help?"

"I don't know." I think. "You could keep her away from Cameron."

He laughs a bit. "That's not happening. They're weird, he's weird." Tom shrugs a bit, gazing off. "Are you gonna come to school tomorrow?"

"I don't know. I don't really want to."

"We have a game Wednesday, you have to be at school for that." He says. I had completely forgotten about the game.

"You think?" I ask hesitantly.

"Jon, you can't miss our game. You're our best player." He says.

I sigh. "I guess." I Miss You started playing on the dock. The worst song to be playing at a time like this.

"So what are you gonna do all day tomorrow? Isn't it boring?" Tom asks me, taking a weird glance at the music dock.

"I mean, kinda... Not as bad as being at school, though." I say.

"Aren't you missing stuff? Homework, assignments, tests?"

I shrug. "Oh well." I give a small laugh.

He smiles a bit too. "What do you wanna do? Do you wanna stay over for a bit? There's not much to do at my place." I tell him. I can't believe my mood changed so quickly the second Tom came.

"I should get home for dinner. Make sure you eat something too, bud." He says, standing up.

"I'll see you later. Thanks for coming." I tell him honestly.

He gives me a small smile as he walks towards the door. "Take care of yourself."

——

Taylor's POV

I had been spamming Tom's phone, I was sure of it, but I didn't really care. I just wanted to make sure Jon was alright, and since I was apparently banned from seeing him, hearing from Tom was the next best thing. Which is the reason why I answered my phone immediately when it rang.

"Hello?" I said.

"You're making my phone run out of battery, jeez, Taylor." Tom's annoyed voice sounded through the phone.

"Sorry." I shrugged to myself.

"I just left his house."

"Okay, and..." I say, sitting on my bed and playing with a strand of my hair.

"He said he's fine, and I believe him. He was being talkative, I didn't expect that. When I was leaving I ran into his sister, and she whispered to me that he hadn't really talked all weekend." Tom said.

"Oh. Wow." I said. "You're a good friend for him." I had been saying this all along, but I really meant it. "Did you ask if he's going to school tomorrow?"

"He said he probably isn't. He's really not in a good mental state, Taylor. I know you want to, but I don't think you should go and see him right now." Tom says.

I knew he'd say that. He's been saying that, and he just had to say it again now. Hm.

"What else did he say?" I ask.

"He said he's doing alright. He talked a bit about you, but obviously I can't really spill that."

"Tom!" I exclaim.

"I can't say anything!" He laughs. "And I think he's coming to school Wednesday. We have a game, he has to come."

"Okay." I say. "Good to know."

"I'm just pulling into my driveway. I'll see you tomorrow?" Tom says.

"Yeah. Thank you, bye." I say, hanging up the phone.

This was all so complicated. Maybe I could make a plan to visit Jonathan on Wednesday, after the game? But how would that work out? Would he even want to see me if they lose? And what would I even say to him?

Tomorrow I had an appointment for my foot. Hopefully that would go well, it's already been too long in this stupid cast.

I would make a deal with myself. If I got the cast off, I'd go see Jonathan. If not, I'd wait. It was stupid, but in my head it helped to make a deal like this so I wouldn't be feeling guilty if I didn't go, and if I did go, at least I'd have a reason to.

I guess we'd just wait and see what happens tomorrow.

——