Chapter 11: Heart to Heart

Taylor's POV

I got plenty of texts from Braden in class on Monday. He wanted me to come meet him during English class, but he got mad when I told him I had an in-class essay to write. They kept coming during Math class, too.

Braden: c'mon taylor, i bet you've never even skipped class before, you won't get in that much trouble

Me: i'm doing my work

Braden: do your work at home :(

Me: i'm busy tonight!

Braden: there's no chance of you leaving?

Me: sorry :(

Braden: urrgghh ok just meet me at the rink at lunch?

Me: we're skating?

Braden: yep and bring your stick and be quick

Me: okay

This weekend, I had made sure to practice hockey as much as I could. My first game would be in less than a week, and I knew I had to be perfect. I watched old videos of Blackhawks games, I searched up stupid videos about beginner's techniques. I spent a lot of time outside playing around with my stick, ball, and puck.

I just wanted to do well. I didn't necessarily care if we lost or not, I just wanted to play well, for myself, and for the team. I didn't want anyone to be angry at me.

The bell to begin lunch rings just as I'm finishing up my work. I try and get to the change room fast, dressing and tying my hair up. I tie up my laces and grab my stick, walking out and seeing Braden sitting up on the boards.

"Took you long enough." he calls jokingly.

I roll my eyes, walking over to join him on the ice. He steps down onto the ice, pulling me in for a hug.

"Hey Bray." I smile.

"Hey Tay." he says, mocking my voice, and I laugh.

He skates into the middle of the rink, picking up the puck with his stick, and tossing it up, catching it. He keeps doing this, adding in some other tricks, before tossing it at me. It lands at my feet. "Your turn." he says.

"What! I can't do that." I chuckle.

"Just try." he says.

I look down doubtingly at the puck, and I try to get my stick under it, but I can't even lift it.

"Here, I can help." he says, skating over to behind me and putting his arms around me. He places his hands atop mine, and with a bit of help, I get the puck on my stick.

"Thanks." I say, looking up at him.

He smiles at me, putting one hand on my cheek to guide my lips to his. We're only attached for a few seconds before I hear the huge door open. I instantly shoot away from Braden.

"What are you two doing?" I can see it's Jonathan who's arrived. If it was Coach Jamie, we'd be in huge trouble.

"Practicing." Braden replies, skating away from me and to the bench to get a better look at Jonathan.

"Looks like it." Jonathan nods. "Does Coach know you're here?"

"I figured it wouldn't be a problem." Braden shrugs.

Jonathan nods slowly, pursing his lips. "Nobody can use the rink unless they ask for permission." he says.

"What are you gonna do, tell on me?" Braden scoffs.