Chapter 5: Maria

Taylor's POV

"Taylor!" I look over, and see Braden waving me over. "Come sit here."

I walk over to their table, Braden pushing a guy over. "I saved you a seat." He says, and the other guy, Jake, looks annoyed.

I look over at everyone else, I recognized them from yesterday. Jonathan was sitting a few seats across from me, talking to the Maria girl. I also noticed Kate talking to some guys.

"Did you watch the Chicago game last night?" Braden asks me. I look up, and see that Jonathan's eyes are on me.

"No, I had lots of homework." I say. I was worried that he would start asking me about hockey, I didn't really know that much.

"Maybe we could go to a game sometime!" He suggested, and I put on a fake smile.

"Sounds like fun." I say.

"So, other than hockey, what else do you like to do, Mystery Girl?" he asks.

"Um... I like school." I say honestly, and he laughs.

"Are you smart?" he asks, taking a bite of his sandwich.

"I guess."

"Maybe you could help me sometime. I'm not too good in school." he says.

"Oh, yeah, I could help." I nod.

"You can come to my house. We can study, and other stuff..." he trails off, and I smile.

"Okay..." I say, and he smiles too.

"So what sports do you do, other than play hockey?" Braden asks.

"I played tennis, and I run in track and field." I say, taking a sip of my water.

"Are you any fast?" he asks, eyebrows raised.

"Not bad." I chuckle.

"You should race me one time. I'm pretty fast." He says.

"Okay, you're on." I smile.

"Taylor?" I hear someone call my name, so I turn around. Ms. Houler, the librarian, is standing behind me, a binder in her hand.

"Hi Ms. Houler." I say, confused as to why she'd be here.

"I need your help in the library. Is that alright?" she asks.

"Yeah, sure. I'll be right there." I say. I say bye to Braden, telling him I'd see him at practice.

——

Jonathan's POV

I walk into the changeroom, hearing everyone already talking.

"Bro, you can't, I already have dibs on her." I turn around and see that statement came from Braden.

"That's not fair." Monroe argues back.

"I already asked her out, nice try." they were talking about Taylor. "Go for the Russian Chick." Braden says. I try to ignore him, opening up my locker.

"She's Jon's. Nice try." I turn around, and notice everyone's looking at me now. I just ignore it, taking a seat on the bench to change.

"Jon's, really?" I look up and find Monroe's talking to me. "Weren't you the one who called the girls off limits?" he asks.

"Just drop it." I mutter. I was in a bad mood.

As I'm changing, Tom comes to sit beside me. "Maria? Really?" he asks me.