Chapter 9: Her Shot

Taylor's POV

I was really thankful that I was able to finish my essay last night. I also studied hardcore for my math test. I had texted Jonathan about what to say to my teacher, and he told me to get him to sympathize for me. Say I had a panic attack during the test, had a horrible night, and I'd like to rewrite it. It was all true, so it wasn't like I was lying or anything.

When I handed in my essay, my teacher called me back up in 10 minutes. "This is really good, Taylor. One of your better essays. I was going to give it a ninety-five percent." He says, and I sigh in relief.

"Wow! Thank you." I smile appreciatively.

"Since you handed it in late, I should be docking five percent, but I feel bad. I really don't want to have to do that to you." He shakes his head.

"You don't have to." I say with a hopeful smile.

My teacher smiles back. "I'm not going to. Congrats on the ninety-five." He says, giving it back to me. I had felt so good. I couldn't believe I received a 95 on an essay I had written in one night. It definitely made me feel a lot better.

When math came around, I was definitely nervous. I went straight to my teacher, taking a deep breath. I told him about the test, and how I had a panic attack and freaked out and had a bad night beforehand. That explained why I couldn't complete the test.

He was a bit angry at first, but he gave in eventually. He took out a test, but a different version than yesterday's. I was so surprised that he was going to let me rewrite it, but I wasn't complaining.

After writing it, I felt so happy that I almost started cheering in the middle of class. I was pretty sure I aced it, and I was so happy. I couldn't believe it.

I handed the test back to him, checking my phone. I had one text from Jonathan.

Jonathan Merritt: meet me on the ice. lunch. bring your skates and stick.

Jonathan told me that sometimes he would go to the rink when he was sad. I'm sure he's gone many times before alone, but this time he was inviting me. I wondered why. It was probably just to get more practice in. I'd be fine with that.

It was almost lunch now, so I finished taking notes from my math teacher, happily jumping up when the bell rang. I went straight to the changeroom, heading to my gym locker and taking out my bag. I put on my skates, lacing them up. I was getting pretty good at this.

When I finished I took my stick, walking outside. I found Jonathan already on the ice, he was leaned over the bench texting someone on his phone.

"Hey." I called.

"Hey," he says. "How did everything go this morning?"

I smile, walking over to the bench. "Jonathan, I am so happy." I say, and I couldn't help but grin. "I got a ninety-five on my essay. And I didn't even get penalized! And my math test was so easy, I think I aced it." I say, and I knew that this smile on my face wasn't going anywhere soon.

"That's awesome. Really." He says, and even he smiles for me. "How about the Braden drama?"

"I got no more messages from him, and I haven't seen him." I shrug. "Even he can't kill my mood."

"You're gonna see him tonight at practice." Jonathan points out.

"It'll be okay." I say, and he nods. "So. What are we doing today?" I ask, looking out at the ice.