Chapter 20: The New Guy

Taylor's POV

I made my way into the cafeteria, a few minutes late. I found the hockey team sitting at their usual spot in the middle. I sat in the spot beside Kate, across from Tom.

"Hey Tay." Kate smiles.

"Hey guys. How was the tryout?" I ask, setting the crutches against the side of the table.

"Not bad." Kate answers. "Only two guys showed, but both were pretty good, so they made it."

"That's good, we needed two more." Tom says. There was a game coming up this Friday, and both me and Jonathan wouldn't be able to play, so two more bodies was necessary.

"If they're so good, why didn't they come to our first tryout?" I asked Kate.

"Well one of them I don't know. But the other one, his marks are really bad. Coach made him an exception, but if he doesn't improve, he'll be gone by the time Jon comes back." Kate explains.

"Wow. How bad?" I ask.

Kate looks up quickly, nudging me. "Sh. He's right there." She mutters. "He was looking for you."

"Huh? Me?" I say confusedly. I look up, my eyes widening at who was walking towards me. I knew who Cameron Sweeney was, I think the whole school did, but not for good reasons. He was notorious for getting in trouble, throwing parties, and I knew instantly that this is who Kate must've been talking about when she mentioned the bad grades. He ran a swift hand through his blond hair before stopping behind Tom.

"Hey, I heard you joined the team." I say to him. "Welcome."

"Thanks." He said with a heart stopping smirk. "You're Taylor, right? Prez?" He asks. Tom moves over slightly to make room for Cameron to sit down.

"That's me." I chuckle.

"That's awesome." He says. "And aren't you, like, really smart, too?"

"I don't know if I'd say that." I try and give a humble smile. It was weird that I'd never found myself talking to Cameron Sweeney before, yet here he was, complimenting me.

"I've heard stuff. Are you good at functions?" He asks.

"Yeah, I'm not that bad. Did you need help?" I offer, trying to be nice.

"It would be awesome if you could tutor me." He smiles a big one. "How much do you charge?"

"Oh, no. I don't. Don't worry about it." I say. I look over at Tom's face. He looks uncomfortable.

"I have to give you something, or else I'll feel bad." He points out.

"Okay... What are you good at?" I ask him.

"Kissing." He smirks. I feel my eyebrows raise, and I think my cheeks even get red.

"Other than that." I laugh. I feel Kate's foot hit against mine.

"Okay. I'll let you know." He chuckles too, standing up. "See you guys around." He says, throwing a wave towards Kate and I. He turns around, and I watch as he walks out the cafeteria door.

My eyes lock with Kate's, and although I'm bearing a look of confusion, she looks almost frustrated. "Cameron? What the hell just happened?" I ask.