one: don't even know your power

I ran my hand through my hair one last time, breathing out after as I stared at myself in the mirror. I tilted my head to the side, smiling to myself when I saw how nice I really looked. It was rare, and I mean rare, when I noticed how nice I looked. I guess today I just finally took the time to acknowledge it.

Breathing out one last time, I nodded to myself before grabbing my bracelet then exiting my room.

Today was a particularly busy day, considering my mom invited some people from church over. My mom was making some really good food (honestly though, my mom makes the best food all the time), she just chose to invite people over because she made a lot and doesn't want it to go to waste. My mom is a wise, money-saving lady.

"About time you came down." I raised my eyebrow, recognizing the voice immediately as I turned around from the front door (which was right in front of the stairs) and saw her.

My sister's best friend. Lauren. She's older than me by two years, college student, extremely beautiful (cute too, can't forget that) and has the most astonishing eyes. I consider her my friend, considering that she is my sister's best friend. Although, they did have this on and off kind of friendship for years before they finally actually admitted they are best friends –that's a story for another time. She's nice though, anyone could see that Lauren is nice.

"Uh...hi."

I was awkward though. Which is why whenever she was around, I was in my room or with my brother. I don't know what it was about her that made me...nervous. Okay, yeah, sure I'm gay...every pretty girl makes me nervous but her, she just makes me feel...I don't even know.

And no, I don't see her like that. She's my sister's best friend, which means I see her as my friend. Possibly even my best friend. I don't and haven't seen her in that way.

Only a second later after those awkward words left my mouth, I heard my mother, who was seated in the chair next to me and in front of Lauren, say;"Your brother is asleep upstairs. When the Johnson's get here, could you wake him up?" I simply nodded as a response, shuffling on my feet nervously as I glanced at Lauren after. She was smiling at me, like she found this small conversation between me and my mother adorable. Like she had seen an adorable child.

I smiled at her one last time, then headed off to the living room to be with my dad. I hate that my brother was asleep right now, because now I was alone with my boredom. I puffed air out of my mouth, threw myself on the couch and took my phone out to entertain myself.

The Johnson's, I know their daughter...beautiful, but not my type. She's too fucking dramatic and thinks too highly of herself. Plus, she looks completely and totally straight. I saw her making out with Kyle in the bathroom one day when I was bored during the pastor's talks. Boy it got heated, her shirt was off and his pants were at his knees.

Oh, and yes, it was awkward.

I rested my head on my palm, mindlessly scrolling through my Instagram timeline while I listened to my dad talk to Berns (everyone calls him by his last name for some reason), they were talking about the recent soccer game. Which one? I was listening too late into the conversation for me to know.

"Camila," my dad somehow stopped the conversation he was having with Berns to call her. I continued scrolling through my timeline, humming to myself some random song."Go wake up your brother." He said to her.

But then my mom said."Y/N! Y/N, you go do that. Your sister is with Lauren." I saw that one coming. My mom has this whole thing with having a guest over; never leave your guest alone. That's why she sent me to get my brother, because if Camila went to wake him up, she would be leaving her guest alone; her guest being Lauren. I stood up with a grunt, huffing quietly when I remembered I had to go up the stairs.