twenty-one: allow yourself to be happy

Long ass author's note at the end. Sorry for the late update...enjoy reading :)
_________\

"Five more months."

I heard her say as I gazed out into the football field. It was a little chilly, but it wasn't to the point where you had to wear a jacket; though I was still wearing a jacket. This time around of the year in Florida, back from winter break, the only goosebumps you get are when the wind passes by. And it's the good kind of goosebumps, the ones you get when something cool is happening or you feel your adrenaline kick in or something like that. Either way, the weather was nice. Just the right temperature.

But it didn't change the fact of how I felt. Currently feeling the need to just curl up into a ball, surround myself with pillows then sleep away all the thoughts on my mind. A sighed escaped my lips, that thought sounded so nice right now.

I couldn't go home though. Not yet, at least. I had another two hours until I had to go home.

You see, I'm with my friends. It's so weird to even know that I have friends. But I do, and I'm with them currently. We were out on the bleachers, just talking and laughing –at least they are. I was sitting alone, just staring out at the football field like it was a piece of art I was trying to figure out. Though, I was trying to figure out how they cut the grass so perfectly before a game, and how they painted the grass the way it should be for a game. There's always a question in my mind.

"Hi, Debby." I heard someone say beside me, having taken the seat. I looked at her, confused by the name I was given. She simply nodded, a small chuckle escaping her lips as she said,"We're trying to have fun but you're over here being a Debby Downer." She bumped her shoulder into my gently, and I couldn't help but chuckle at that.

"Sorry. But I guess it's my payback because I'm missing my French class to be here with you guys." I responded, and she laughed while shaking her head. I then shrugged my shoulders, looking back out at the field as I said,"Plus, what's so fun about being out here? There's nothing to do."

"You're missing the point." Dorelys said, in a tone I have never heard her use before. I turned my head, meeting her eyes as she spoke."We come out here, and we reminisce. We talk about how stupid we were in a grade, such as freshmen year; the year everyone did everything and anything to fit in. We recognize how stupid we were in that grade, and also how funny it was of how much we tried to do to fit in. When I say 'everything and anything' I literally mean that."

I scrunched my nose up, not understanding what she meant at the end.

"For example," She started, a laugh escaping her lips as she looked away from my eyes to look out at the football field."During my freshmen year, I dated some senior boy that wanted me to dye my hair black. Then he said that I'd look sexy with red tips in my hair, so I did it. Turns out I didn't rock that kind of hairdo, any other girl could, but I couldn't. My freshmen year yearbook photo is so tragic, Y/N!" She said, shaking her head with embarrassment.

I couldn't help the small laugh that escaped my lips, shaking my head to hide my smile.

"I'm glad you think it's funny." Dorelys bumped my shoulder, causing me to look at her, meeting her eyes."I'm also glad to finally see you smiling again."

I furrowed my eyebrows."What?"

She shrugged her shoulders."You just have been acting...more different than usual." A small chuckle escaped my lips, turning my gaze to look out at the football field."Wanna talk about it?" She asked carefully.

I sighed out quietly, glancing at her before quickly averting my gaze. It wouldn't be such a bad thing to do. I really wanted to talk to someone about this, because I'm honestly tired of listening to Camila go on about how I shouldn't have done what I've done with Lauren. But I also didn't want to reveal too much to Dorelys, because what if she told Dinah after? I'd be dead before I even get home.