twelve: homecoming

"You guys excited for a Homecoming tonight?"

Shit. I knew I was forgetting something.

A fucking dress.

"I had to get a tux last minute –really expensive– but I got it." I heard Josh say, making me groan quietly before laying my head down on the table. Gently, and slowly, banging my head on the table, I mumbled to myself about how stupid I was for forgetting.

I always do this too. Why do I put things to last minute? And it's not that I didn't remember, because I actually reminded myself everyday since I asked my parents if I could go. My mom would even call me in the middle of the night to come and look online with her for some dresses.

"What's up with Y/N?" Josh asked, as I continued banging my head against the table.

"Something about her being stupid." Dinah answered, and since she was the closest to me I'm sure she could hear me loud and clear. I turned my head, looking at her with my eyebrow raised as I watched her chew on her chips. She looked at me, shrugging her shoulders which made me go back to banging my head.

"What's wrong with Y/N?"

I huffed, stopping my actions when I heard her voice before lifting my head up. I heard Dinah snicker with Normani quietly, pointing at my forehead, which made me lift my hand up to rub the area I hit banged my head.

"I forgot to buy a dress." I mumbled emotionlessly, slumping my shoulders while pushing my tray further away from me. I hid my face in my arms, closing my eyes but paid attention to them in case they said anything.

"Why didn't you get a dress when we went to the mall together?" I groaned out again, shaking my head frantically, because she was right. I could have done that. But I was stupid and distracted with the conversation Dorelys and I had had moments before.

Which just brought me back to what happened yesterday. It's not like I wasn't thinking about it anyway, because Camila told my dad she would take me to school just so she could ask me what happened. And Camila would not stop asking questions, continuously asking what happened and she would not let me sleep. It was also making me feel...sad again. What the hell is wrong with me?

The bell rang, dismissing us all from lunch and to our fifth periods. The bell also reminded me of how fucked I was right now. So I stayed where I was, not caring that maybe I'll miss class, knowing me though, I'll probably just be late as always.

"Y/N, you're going to be late." I heard her say, really close to my ear which made me pick my head up to see. And she was close, only a few inches away, allowing me to see how many different colors of brown there were. How are brown eyes suddenly even more attractive than before now as I see hers?

"I would say I don't care, but I do." I muttered, groaning dramatically after, which got a laugh from her. I reluctantly stood up, muttering a few things to myself as I did, which for some reason made her laugh again. I put my backpack over my shoulder, puffing air out of my mouth when I noticed the cafeteria was empty.

"Come on." She interlocked our arms together, probably going to walk me to my class this time instead of Dinah doing it. Dinah was busy actually doing what she said she was going to do. The freshmen have been taking the fliers from her, nodding their heads frantically when she told them what would happen if they don't vote her.

"So, what's wrong?" She bumped my shoulder, earning my attention again. I shrugged my shoulders, not turning my head to look at her. She scoffed, bumping my shoulder again making me turn my head to meet her eyes."You're obvious. Come on, what's wrong?" She asked seriously, a worried expression on her face.

"Honestly?" I asked her, looking at her with a raised eyebrow. She nodded, which made me turn away as I sighed."I don't know." I answered her truthfully, shrugging my shoulders as I wondered myself why I was so...down.

"That's okay..." she said, making me look at her curiously."but I'm here when you do find out." She sent me a small smile, then rested her head back on my shoulder as we kept walking towards my class.

*
M
E
R
C
Y
*

Homecoming wasn't my thing. Going to school events weren't my thing. Anything that involved school wasn't my thing.

Actually, I didn't really have a thing. I'm a pretty chill person, who just goes with the flow and makes a decision at the moment it needs to be made. Which is why I didn't get a dress for Homecoming, because I just lived my life with no worries. And I realize, if I had worried about it then maybe I wouldn't be in some skinny jeans and a flannel right now, as I stand here alone in the corner of the gym.

I managed to sneak out without my mom seeing me wearing what I was wearing. She would be pissed and probably wouldn't allow me out of the house. Camila wasn't home either, thank god; literally, because she went with Kenny to church to accompany him on fixing the sound system.

I've been here for an hour, a cup of juice in my hand,(that I hope no one spiked) just looking around the gym as everyone else danced. I got here late, which is why Dinah, Normani and Dorelys haven't acknowledged my existence yet. They were also busy dancing and having fun on the dance floor; typical high school senior thing.

Josh was talking to a teacher, one of the chaperones, most likely about some random thing. One thing I learned about Josh, he never stopped talking. The dude honestly had something to say, an opinion or knowledge about something that was currently happening. There were times it was annoying, and other times when it was actually interesting. But mostly annoying. He needed to learn when to shut up.

I exhaled quietly, now noticing several students beginning to leave with smirks on their faces. I sipped on my drink, not going to be surprised if the population gets bigger in nine months. I scratched my head, sighing contently at the taste before moving to be with the girls.

"We thought you wouldn't make it." Normani spoke loudly, trying to be louder than the music so I could hear her. I gestured to her my outfit, to which she only waved off before telling me,"You look good, girl."

"We were actually going to head out. A friend of ours who graduated last year is having a small get together. Wanna come?" Dinah looked at me, glancing at her phone before looking back at me.

I shrugged, glancing at each of them individually before nodding."Sure." I have nothing better to do.