.:nine:..

I attached a picture of me because none of my Josh pictures are cropped right now sorry.

this chapter is terrible just warning you like it's so badly written and I kinda hate it but I really need to update so here

-

Devon walked into school the next day with shaking hands and glossy eyes. She couldn't stop thinking about what happened between her and Josh.

She walked into the break room and let out a shaky breath as she leaned on the counter. She was trying to shake the anxiousness she felt. She felt the tears welling up in her eyes, but she wouldn't dare let them fall. Crying in public definitely wasn't her thing.

She had strong, undeniable feelings for Josh and she definitely wasn't opposed to kissing him again. So she didn't hate him, not in the slightest bit like she was with many other. She just hated what he did.

She would even be Josh's girlfriend, but the fear that he would turn her down because of her mother's conditions still remained. It was petty, but she was still very apprehensive about it.

Once she calmed herself as best as she could, she faced the coffee maker and began brewing her drink.

Then she heard the familiar sound of the door hinges squeaking, signaling that the door was opened.

"Good morning, Miss Taylor," Josh greeted her.

Devon stayed silent, letting the low hum of the coffee maker fill the room.

"Hey," Josh put his hand on her shoulder when he saw how unsettled she was. "You good?" He asked, even though the answer was evident.

Devon clenched her jaw and shook his hand from her shoulder. "So my privacy wasn't enough for you?"

"What?"

"You invaded privacy, now my personal space. What's next? A-Are you gonna break into my house?" She snapped at him. It definitely wasn't the best thing she's ever came up with, but she was under an extreme amount of stress and anxiety.

Josh sighed at her remark. "I was worried, Devon." He told her. "It's obvious that you're not in the best mental state."

Devon snapped a lid onto her cup without even looking at Josh. "That's none of your business."

She tried to push past him, but he only stepped in front of her.

"Please don't act like that." He pleaded.

"Like what?" She was very close to him, so she was easily able to smell his cologne.

"Like you're totally fine and nothing in the world is bothering you."

Devon looked down and shook her head. "I don't wanna talk about it."

"Was it those funeral plans?" He pushed.

Devon looked up at him and rolled her eyes. "What did I just say? I swear you're a worse listener than my worst kindergartener."

"Was it me?" He asked quietly as he took her free hand into his.

Devon looked down again to hide her eyes that were welling up with tears. She shook her head in response. "No," she lied as her voice cracked. She despised being vulnerable in front of anybody, let alone Josh.

The door squeaked yet again, another teacher walking in.

"Oh- Am-Am I interrupting something?" The familiar voice of Tyler rang out. Devon figured he must've noticed how close they were and how their hands were loosely held together.