.:seventeen:..

It was Josh's class time and Devon's planning period. Devon was done with the planning she had to do, so she stopped by Josh to pass the time ( she also missed him a lot ).

"Miss Taylor!" A little girl got up and ran to hug Devon as she walked through the doorway.

"Hello Jada," Devon hugged back with a smile on her face. "How are you?" She got down to her height.

Josh watched with a loving smile on his lips when she spoke to the little girl.

"Remember how I told you about my mommy?" The girl asked quietly.

"Yeah," Devon nodded. "I'm still here if you don't wanna see the guidance counselor, okay?"

"Thank you so much." Jada wrapped her arms around Devon's neck, then gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"Go sit down." Devon told her. Then she joined Josh, standing next to him as he stood in front of his class that sat on the floor.

"To who do I owe the pleasure?" Josh asked, knowing better than to get too close to her in front of mouthy kids.

"Maybe you can return the favor later." She whispered to him so that the kids wouldn't hear her.

"So," Josh started. "Why is Miss Taylor here today?"

Devon turned to the whiteboard, her back facing the kids. She picked up a purple marker and began drawing multiple instruments, including a drum, guitar, and tambourine.

"I just wanted to see how well Mr. Dun has been teaching." She pointed to the drum on the board with the marker. "What is this?"

"They're not four," Josh called out. "And I'm not a bad teacher."

"Keep telling yourself that." The class laughed at Devon's remark before a few of them called out what the instrument was.

Josh smiled as he watched Devon talk to the kids, a grin on her lips the whole time. It was the longest time he saw her saw her smile, and that's when he figured out why she got the job in the first place.

The kids didn't judge her. They didn't bring out the worst in her like most of her co-workers did. They looked past the seemingly rude person she was and admired her for the teacher that she was. She didn't teach art.

She taught a way out.

***

"Don't make any plans for this weekend." Josh told Devon as he walked into her classroom at the end of the day. She was packing her stuff up.

"Why not?"

"Because," Josh stepped in front of her and grabbed her hands. "We are going on our first proper date."

Devon rolled her eyes. "You're something else."

"Yeah," Josh nodded. "And so are you. We are gonna go out and be something-else's together."

"Wow Mr. Dun," Devon brought her hands up to his tie, fumbling with the knot at the top. "You're lucky you don't teach English."

"Yeah?" Josh asked with a small smile as he leaned in.

"Yeah." Devon answered as she tilted her head to the side and put her hands on his neck, giving him a sweet kiss.

"I'll pick you up on Saturday," Josh told her when he pulled away. "Wear something comfortable."