.:thirty four:..

"Hey," Josh immediately rushed to her side. "What's going on? Is the baby coming?"  

"No," Devon shook her head and winced in pain. "I-It's okay." 

"It's the baby!" Josh began to panic and pace around. "W-We need the bag a-and the car seat and-"

"Josh!" Devon yelled to get his attention. "It's okay. They're just premature-" She had to stop mid-sentence due to the pain.

"We should get to the doctors!"

"It's fine!" Devon gasped. "I already went."

"Then what is it?!" Josh worried.

"They're just premature contractions," Devon caught her breath. "Because of stress and stuff."

"W-What do I do?" Josh asked.

"Just.." Devon let out a deep breath as she squeezed her eyes shut. "Just let it pass."

***

"Come on," Josh helped Devon out of the car. "There's no way I'm letting you fall."

"J," Devon had to catch her breath when she finally stood up. More than halfway through her pregnancy, just about everything tired her out. "I'm telling you. They know."

"If they knew," Josh held her bag for her. "I would be fired already."

Josh held her hand as she stepped up the curb of the school sidewalk. When they got into the lobby, Devon hid behind the black panel separating the glass windows with Josh's hands on her waist. "I'm not ready for this."

"You're gonna go in there and make a grand entrance," Josh assured her. "Everybody is here for you."

"They're here for their kids," Devon rejected. "They're here because their kids like art. There's nobody here for me."

"I am." Josh stated.

"Shush." Devon tugged on his tie lightly and brought his lips to hers before she directed him to go into the building first.

Devon was overwhelmed when she walked into the decorated gym. Their were banners and donation boxes all around. Large cork boards were set up where art was displayed around the room. She covered her mouth in shock when she saw her school portrait set up on the stage, along with a heartfelt message that she was sure Josh wrote.

Welcome to the  first Clinton Elementary Charity Art Show to rebuild the art room and re-hire a beloved teacher!

Josh had disappeared so that he could follow through with his plan of convincing the attendees to donate, and he knew he was doing a good job when he got over one hundred dollars in the first hour.

There was an auctioneer on stage, quickly naming prices for pieces of art done by children. Devon noticed a few of her favorite pieces, ones that she would have never let go of herself.

She watched as pieces were fought over by parents, a bit sad that they would not be hers to admire when she was not in the best of moods.

Josh joined besides her, refraining from showing affection. "Do you like it?"

"Yeah," Devon nodded as she folded her arms together. "It's just uh.. those are kind of my favorite ones. Now they're gone."

"Well," Josh sighed. "That's what this is for. Once everything is rebuilt, they can make you new ones."