.:epilogue:..

ya girl can drive now

-- 

"Come here, baby." Josh picked up his crying child at one in the morning. "Let mommy sleep tonight, okay?"

Josh set the baby on the changing table and changed her diaper.

"Hush." Josh rocked her, but she would not stop crying. "Momma's tired."

Josh sighed after a few minutes of trying to calm her before he wrapped a blanket around her and took her to their bedroom.

"Dev," Josh nudged her. "She's hungry."

Devon was half asleep when she sat up and took her daughter in the dim lighting.

"Do you want me to burp her?" Josh asked.

"Yeah," Devon nodded. "I don't need to change my shirt for the third time tonight."

"Or you could just not wear it." Josh suggested.

"Or you could shut the hell up and take care of our child."

"Language," Josh scolded Devon. "She doesn't need to hear that."

"Josh," Devon said from the doorway as she held Scarlett. "Get your ugly ass up."

"Stop," Josh covered his ears with the pillow. "I'm tired."

"Yeah," Devon nodded. "Like your nipple was being sucked on all night."

"It was actually my neck."

"We need diapers." Devon told him, not even acknowledging the truthfulness of his comment.

"I got some last week." Josh replied as he turned onto his back.

"She goes through like, five a day." Devon told him.

"And?"

"And your dumbass gets small packs."

"Fine," Josh got up and put a t-shirt and jeans on. "But if I'm late to work, it's-"

"Your fault." Devon finished his sentence.

"I love you." Josh cooed to Scarlett and gave her a kiss on her forehead.

"I hate you too." Devon lightly pushed him.

When Josh got back, Devon was asleep in bed with Scarlett resting on her chest. Devon had her laptop sitting in her lap.

Instead of waking her up, Josh moved her laptop. However, it was still on, and he could not help but to look.

Devon was looking at wedding dresses.
He automatically smiled when he saw what kinds of dresses she was looking at.

They were all simple. No big flowers or bows. No excessive rhinestones or shiny necklines. Just.. Devon.

"I want something simple." Devon told Josh as they were getting ready for work.

"For the wedding?" Josh asked. "Like the dresses you've been looking at?"

"Yeah." Devon nodded.

"Why not a big one?" Josh asked.

"Because," Devon shrugged. "I'm not really into them. I don't care who's there. I don't care about getting an expensive dress o-or having a big party. I just.. I just care that we finally get married."

"Yeah." Josh nodded. "I was thinking the same thing. I just wanted to hear you say that."

Devon sighed and shook her head at her fiancé's behavior. "I'm gonna get Scarlett ready."

Josh met Devon at the door with the diaper bag and a hug and kiss goodbye.

"The daycare wants me in early today." Devon told him.

"And she's allowed to come too?"

"Of course," Devon looked at him like he was stupid. "It's my work and she gets free enrollment."

"Be good for mommy." Josh pulled her shirt over her little belly. "I love you so much."

Scarlett flashed a toothless smile when Josh gave her a kiss. As she watched him walk out the door, she reached out for him and whined a bit.

"We'll see him later, okay?" Devon held her daughter's hand.

As Josh drove down the road, he realized how happy he was.

He was marrying Devon.

He was raising his daughter.

Him and Devon were even thinking about trying again. Devon was paranoid that Scarlett was going to grow up an only child and that would effect her in some way, so she swore she would have another child. One that could not be closer to Scarlett. One that would not treat her the way Devon's brother did her.

He had his job.

He did not realize how important it was until he got there.

His job changed his life.

And all Josh had to do was meet the art teacher.