.:thirty five:..

Excited was an understatement for how Devon felt for her first day back at work.

She woke up before Josh did, surprisingly, and she got ready on her own. Josh woke up only shortly after her, but he remained quiet as he admired how happy she seemed. She had a smile plastered on her face as searched through the closet.

"What should I wear?" Devon asked as she held two outfits to her frame as she stood in the mirror.

"Either one." Josh was laying down with the blanket covering his lower half, his chest exposed. "Whatever makes you.. happy."

"I would usually reply saying how much I would rather just lay around all day with nothing to do and be totally fine with it," Devon sighed. "But I actually wanna go back to work."

"The one day where I wanna sleep in a little." Josh sighed before getting up. He approached Devon and wrapped his arms around her from behind, places soft kisses down her neck. "How'd you sleep?"

"More like how did I stay up all night," Devon replied. "I couldn't sleep. I'm just so excited to go back."

Josh grinned contently as he listened to his girlfriend drone on about going back to work. She was like a small child who had a dreams of flying to the moon - except hers was coming true.

"After work," Devon smoothed her shirt over her stomach as she spoke to Josh. "Your mom is hosting a party."

"How do you know and I don't?" Josh asked as he ran his fingers through his knotty hair in front of the mirror.

"Because," Devon joined him in the mirror. "It's a surprise for you."

"Oh," Josh nodded. "Do I get to find out what kind of baby we're having?"

"What kind of baby?" Devon laughed.

"Yeah," Josh nodded with a small smile. "Boy or girl."

"Yes," Devon replied. "And you better not irritate me all day about it."

"You know me so well." Josh turned to her and gave her a kiss.

***

Josh and Devon had to resist the urge to walk across the school parking lot hand in hand.

"Welcome back, Miss Taylor." The principle congratulated Devon as she clocked in, Josh doing the same.

"Thank you." Devon smiled. She went to pick her bag off the counter top, but Josh took it for her.

The smile on the older woman's face dropped, but Devon tried her best to ignore it.

"Here," Josh held the door for her. "Welcome back."

Devon smiled before walking through her door, finally feeling at home for the first time since the fire.

"I got the desk." Josh told her.

"You didn't have to do that," Devon replied. "I could've handled it."

"I already did," Josh said. "I know it's not the best, but I even put your pictures back up."

"It feels great to be back," Devon grinned as she sat down on her spinning office chair. "Across the hall from the stupid music teacher all day."