.:12:.

We got out of the room using a set of keys Brendon had on him. We snuck down the unfamiliar hallway. The artificial lighting wasn't much of a source of help; It flickered constantly and half of the lights weren't even on. I had to squint my eyes to stay focused on Josh.

"Do you know where we are?" I whispered. Josh nodded his head. We walked to a door at the end of the hallway and Josh took Brendon's keys out of his pocket, shakily trying to unlock the door.

"Here," i took the keys from his hands and slid the key it easily, hearing the click of the door unlocking.

"Why is it locked from the inside?" Josh pushed through the door and I followed behind. It was pitch black outside, only being able to see the stars that littered the sky. It any other situation they would be beautiful. He closed the door behind me and pointed to it.

"There is no handle on the outside. Nobody gets in and if you don't have keys-" he jingled the keys in his hand  "-no one gets out." He gently grabbed my hand and smiled at me. I let out a breath I didn't know i was holding in at the touch. Through the bruises that encircled them, his eyes where as strong as ever. He gave my hand a light squeeze.

"We are going to get through this, okay? We are going to get out of here." His eyes flickered between mine.

"I will keep you safe, Tyler." I collapsed into his body, feeling the warmth radiating that came across tender and endearing. I almost believed him. He wrapped his arms around my frame for a firm and reassuring hug before pulling away.

"We need to go to my lab. Its not that far away, just two buildings down that way" he gestured behind himself. "It's dark so no one will see us out past curfew." He looked at me and i nodded my head and he began to delicately pull me along. We traveled along behind the buildings. The longer we were in the dark the easier is was to make out objects. I could see the outline of the buildings, where they started and where they ended. I could also see we were traveling close to a wired fence. Our movements halted when we heard a low growl. We were practically to the building when we stopped. we heard some rustling followed by another growl. All was quiet for a second and i could hear my fright in my hearts beating. But then, something attacked the fence, making it push out slightly. The growling intensified sounding like ravenous snarls. Its muscle void fingers clawed through the braided wires.

"It's a biter" Josh whispered. I felt around my pockets.

"I got it" I whispered back as i pulled Brendon's knife from my back pocket. My eyes had completely adjusted and i could see the creature. The dead skin, dead eyes, dead- well- everything. The only thing that was alive was its hunger for anything living. Through the holes of the fence, i quickly pierced into the man thing's eye, wincing at the pure sound of the knife ripping through the layers. I twisted the knife, watching as dark navy blood dripped from the socket. I disengaged the knife and inspected it, staring at the indigo substance that coated the blade. The body went limp and fell down to the ground. I wiped the knife off on my shirt and stuck it back in my pocket.

"Alright lets go" Josh started walking again but as soon as I turned to start walking i heard a clank on the fence deep gasps and snarls following.

"Another one" i called out going to get my knife again. But then another body hit the fence, full body weight against it as it snapped its jaw at me. Five more biters appeared from the trees surrounding the fence and came behind the others, pushing up against the fence.  I backed away from the fence as more appeared, a chorus of grunts and wire clanging filled the air.

"Uh J-Josh..." I called out while continuing to back away. More biters appeared clawing through the fence. Josh walked over to the bulging fence.

"What is all the fucking noise?" Me and Josh turned around and looked between the two buildings as a humanly figure with a gun by their side. Josh pulled me all the way to the next building and we hid, being as quiet as we could trying not to draw the woman with a gun closer to us as she went up to inspect the group of biters.

And then, the fence broke.