Chapter 24

After Aang finally convinced us, we set up for the party.

Lit candles lined the cave, giving it a beautiful glow. Katara and Sokka light more candles as Toph and I bend the rock to make a stage. "I can't believe we're having a dance party. It seems so ... silly." Sokka sighs as Aang ties his headband on.

"Don't think of it as a dance party, but as a cultural event celebrating the art of fancy footwork!" Aang cheers as he dances.

Toph and I straighten up as we feel the vibrations of feet. "They're here!" I call. "Stop bending!" Toph warns placing the last bit of stage down.

Aang turns to Appa "Sorry buddy, you should probably wait out back. I know, you got fancier feet than anybody. And six of 'em!". Appa grumbles quietly as he's led away by Aang.

As the children enter, a few get onto stage and begin to play instruments. Aang hops onto the stage and calls out "Ladies and gentlemen, the Flamey-O's! Yeah, this ought to get everybody moving."

"What do we do now?" a kid asks. "This is where you start dancing" Aang smiles.

" I don't think my parents want me dancing in a cave" a kid frowns. "What if they find out!?" another asks before rushing off.

"Oh boy. Listen guys, dancing isn't something you think about. It's a form of self-expression that no one can ever take away from you." Aang explains, hoping the kids will dance.

"This isn't going too well" Sokka sighs as he wraps his arm around my waist again. I feel tingles shoot up my side, causing me to look at Sokka. "Hopefully Aang will break the ice with them".

"Maybe it was different in the colonies, Kuzon, but we don't do that here." a kids calls out, causing Aang to jump down and explain dance moves. 

"Who knew Twinkle Toes could dance" Toph laughs as Aang get's a positive reaction from the students.

Suddenly, Aang grabs On Ji's hand before telling the room how this is how they dance in the ballrooms of Ba Sing Se. "Wow, they look pretty good together." Sokka smiles.

"Eh, if that's what you like ..." Katara spits with jealously.

I grasp Sokka's hand "Come on Wang Fire, let's dance, I happen to know a girl who lived in Ba Sing Se" I smile before pulling Sokka into the circle with On Ji and Aang.

"Mika!" he whispers as I let go of his hand.

"Just follow me" I smile before copying On Ji and Aang.

Sokka glares at me but quickly begins to go along with it, as well as the other kids. Around us, kids dance and laugh. "Hey! This is pretty fun!" Sokka cheers as he laughs.

"Yeah, that's it! That's the sound of happy feet. All right, go with that! Everybody freestyle!" Aang cheers as he hops from the crowd.

Suddenly, Katara is yanked into the circle by Aang. "I don't know, Aang. These shoes aren't really right for dancing, and I-I'm not sure that I know how to- " Katara stutters. "Just take my hand" Aang says and Katara nods. Aang whispers to her, she blushes and they bow and begin a dance.

The kids stop and circle around them, so Sokka grasps my hand and pulls me from the crowd.

"Sokka! Where are we going?" I ask as he pulls us away from the music. Only part of the area is lit, with about three candles.

"Listen Mika, over these few weeks, after our..encounter..I can't get you out of my head." he sighs. "Like meat?" I question, thinking this is a joke.

"I'm serious Mika, you're in my head more than meat, and sarcastic comments" Sokka whispered.

"I thought you were still getting over your girlfriend Sokka, and that you couldn't be with anyone else" I spoke, voicing my worries.

"I'm over her, she turned into the moon" Sokka spoke.

"What?" I questioned, my tone confused. "Forget it, Mika, I like you, maybe at first I didn't see it or I tried not too but now I can." he spoke.

"I want to know, do you feel the same?" he asked stepping forward. My eyes widened in shock. Did I like Sokka? The Water Tribe boy who enjoyed meat over any other food. The boy who stood by my side and made me laugh along the way. The boy who shaved when he had no facial hair to shave.

My eyes darted up from my hands to his ocean eyes, which still glowed in the dark.

I felt butterflies rise in my stomach, and I almost couldn't answer him.

Almost.

"Yes..I do" I breathed, causing him to smile.

He took another step and took my hand into his. His eyes looked into mine, reading every emotion, every word I've spoken to him along with everything we've gone through. Even if it wasn't a lot, there was more to come. And I wanted to be by his side.

"I almost thought you'd say no" he whispered.

"And I almost thought you brought me here to tell me a bad pun" I whispered back before grabbing his fake beard and pulling his lips to mine. His eyes widened and his body stiffened in shock but slowly, he kissed me back and closed his eyes, mine quickly following.

His hand held onto mine tightly as his other hand cupped my cheek, his finger stroking my cheek. I wrapped my free arm around his neck, pulling me closer to him.

Our mouths moved in sync. I never wanted this moment to end, I never wanted this feeling of him to end. He smiled against my lips before we parted to take a deep breath. And the second I had air in my lungs, his lips were back onto mine.