Chapter 37

"I'd steer clear of the sea prunes." Aang whispers to Toph and I.

"I thought they were ocean kumquats." I gag, my stomach doing rocks.

"Who wants five flavor soup?" Hama asks and I raise my hand after watching Aang and Toph, which hopefully means the food is okay.

Hama raises her hand into the air and bends the soup into our bowls.

"You're a waterbender! I've never met another waterbender from our tribe!" Katara exclaims.

"That's because the Fire Nation wiped them all out. I was the last one ..." Hama says with a look of sorrow on her face. "How did you end up here?" Sokka asks confused.

"I was stolen from my home. It was over sixty years ago when the raids started.They came again and again, each time rounding up more of our waterbenders and taking them captive. We did our best to hold them off, but our numbers dwindled as the raids continued.Finally, I too was captured.I was led away in chains. The last waterbender of the Southern Water Tribe.They put us in terrible prisons here in the Fire Nation. I was the only one who managed to escape." Hama spoke, a few tears falling down her face.

"How did you get away? And why did you stay in the Fire Nation?" Sokka asks pressing for more details.

"I'm sorry. It's too painful to talk about anymore." Hama says.

"We completely understand. We lost our mother in a raid." Katara says grimly. I reach under the table and I grasp Sokka's hand as he and Aang put their heads down.

"Oh you poor things" Hama says frowning.

"I can't tell you what it means to meet you. It's an honor. You're a hero." Katara says quietly. "I never thought I'd meet another Southern waterbender. I'd like to teach you what I know so you can carry on the Southern tradition when I'm gone." Hama says grasping Katara's hand.

"Yes! Yes, of course! To learn about my heritage, it would mean everything to me." Katara cheers, but an uneasy feeling still washed over me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, Toph, Sokka, Aang and I walk through the town to find the evil spirit.

"This has got to be the nicest natural setting in the Fire Nation. I don't see anything that would make a spirit mad around here." Aang says looking around.

Sokka squats and sniffs flowers before Toph says "Maybe the Moon Spirit just turned mean." 

Sokka quickly jumps in anger "The Moon Spirit is a gentle, loving lady. She rules the sky with compassion and ... lunar goodness!" 

While Toph continues to get an earful, Aang rushes over to a passing man "Excuse me, sir. Can you tell us anything about the spirit that's been stealing people?" he asks. The man stops and looks at us "Only one man ever saw it and lived and that's Old Man Ding."