Chapter 26

The next day, after finding out Appa is sick, we head into the town.

"Is it me or are the people happier?" I ask looking at all the smiles. A small boy runs by with a bouncy ball and smiles to Katara, who smiles back.

"Hey, Xu, what's going on with everyone today?" Sokka asks the man who looks WAY too much like Dock.

"Ah, something amazing happened last night. Food was delivered to our village by a mysterious and wonderful person ... the Painted Lady." he blushes. "The Painted..who? Katara asks confused. 

"The Painted Lady. She's part of our town's lore. They say she's a river spirit who watches over our town in times of need. I always thought she was just a legend. Until now." Xu smiles as he places a statue onto the counter.

"See, we don't need to help these people, they already have someone to help them. All we need is medicine for our sick friend."

Xu's face falls "I'm sorry, we don't have any medicine, it goes to the factory. That's why we have so many sick people."

"Looks like we need to stay another night so Appa can rest." Katara responses looking towards her brother.

"I guess you're right. You got any more food to sell?" Sokka asks. Xu holds up two fish "Would you like the one-headed fish, or the two-headed fish?"

Sokka grabs the two headed fish, with a grin. "Sokka! That's disgusting!" I gag, as do the rest of us.

"What?! You get more for your money!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, all of us walk back towards the city.

"Hi, Dock. Is Xu around?" Sokka asks, which causes Dock to go under the counter and pop up with another hat. "Here I am!"

"We need more food. Our friend is still sick and we can't leave until he's better" Toph explains before slamming money down onto the counter. "Oh, well, that's too bad. Maybe if you guys are lucky, the Painted Lady will visit you in the night, and heal your friend." Xu smiles handing us some clams.

"And maybe she'll cook us a midnight snack, and we'll all have a sing-along." Sokka grins sarcastically. Rolling my eyes, I pinch Sokka's side, causing him to screech. "Stop being so rude Sokka, you can do that later" I warn.

"Yeah, may be! You know, last night she visited us again. Healed most of our sick folks." Xu smiled.

"Is that why this place seems so festive?" Aang asks looking around. 

Suddenly a large statue of the small one Xu had is risen into the air.

"Yep, it's all because of the Painted Lady." Xu sighs looking at the statue. "Can you believe how much an entire village can be affected by one lady I mean ... spirit?" Katara smiles looking around at the happy people.