Chapter 57

After being led to an Earth Kingdom tavern, Zuko showed us to a girl named June.

Her mole was able to track Aang's scent, but something went wrong, and she stated that Aang no longer existed, meaning we had to fight without him.

Luckily, before June left, Zuko showed her Iroh's shoe, which caused her to lead us to Ba Sing Se, where we currently were.

My eyes glazed over the wall that I once thought could never break. A large hole was smashed into the wall, making me feel as if apart of myself was smashed.

Surrounding us were the White Lotus, or The Group Of Old People, as Toph likes to call it. The members were leading us back to their camp. King Bumi, was currently explaining how he took back his city, yet my mind still drifted. 

Sokka's arm wrapped around me, pulling me next to him. "How are you?" he asks, his eyes searching mine. "It's hard to be here, but it's good to know, I'm not who I use to be" I say truthfully, making me smile.

"I like when you smile" Sokka whispers before his own grin covers his face.

"So what about you guys? Did you do anything interesting on the day of the eclipse?" Bumi says, catching our attention.

Zuko, Sokka and I all look at eachother. "Nah" Zuko says, "No, not really" Sokka joins.

Suddenly Bumi stopped and shifted his feet, causing an earth wall to fall, revealing a camp. "Well, welcome to Old People Camp" Bumi cackles as he waltzes in.

Turning, I walk off with Sokka and his 'gramp-gramp' Pakku. "So, you're from the Northern Water Tribe?" I ask, causing the old man to look at me. "No, I'm from the Eastern Tribe" Pakku laughs.

Water Tribe Men were much easier to talk to than those in the Earth Kingdom.

"Oh! Pakku, let me formally introduce you to my girlfriend, Mika." Sokka smiles as he presses a kiss to my temple, making Pakku chuckle. "My, my, I see you're not past the cuddle stage".

"Nice to meet you Pakku" I say, holding out my arm to shake it. 

His eyes scan my arm, his hand not reaching out.  I look down, seeing my scarred arm. "That's a mighty scar you have there" Pakku stated, his eyes looking at my scar.

Taking in a breath, I relaxed myself from the worry that came crawling up my throat.

But before I could even respond, Sokka pulled me away "I'm sorry Pakku, but Mika and I are awfully tired!".

As Sokka yanked me off, I gave him a look. "I'm sorry, you were clamming up and you don't need to tell everyone what happened when you meet them" Sokka sighs before pulling open a tent.

Stepping inside, I looked back at the Water Tribe boy, who closed the tent.

"Sokka, are you alright? You seem..clingly" I state carefully. His face turns into a frown "Am I? It's just so many bad things have happened here, I'll just be glad once we come up with a plan and we can get away from here." Sokka smiles, sitting next to me.

Leaving Ba Sing Se.

Clearly the White Lotus intended to take back the city, and I know my duty lies with Team Avatar, but an aching feeling tells me to stand up to the Fire Nation, to Azula and her father and take back my city. To free those who are just finding out what is happening. Those who are in fear, and in tears.

"Sokka, when we come up with a plan, I want to stay here" I say, making Sokka's mouth hang open in shock.

After thinking for a fraction of a second, he blurted out "What do you mean?".

"Sokka, this city as it may not seem like it, is my home and I need to protect and save those who were lied to" I say before grasping his hand. "What if you get hurt again? I'm staying too" Sokka says quickly.

"No" I warn, squeezing his hand "You need to go and help Aang for when he returns, either way, I'll have Iroh and Pakku and everyone else" I smile.

"I don't know" Sokka sighs.

"Sokka" I plead, my eyes wide. "I. need. to. do. this. These people, this city, it's my home and I need to protect it, I need to free it and keep it safe, something Long Feng and the Dai Li could never do".

We sit in silence, my words echoing in our heads.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, Katara, Zuko, Saki,Sokka, Toph, Iroh and I sat in a circle. I gave a worn smile to Iroh, who was happy to see me, Toph and Zuko. 

Saki sat in between Sokka and I and a smile clasped my face. I gripped her hand, spirit knows what she went through. The last time we saw each other, I was a different person, my skin was clean and fresh, and my mind was pure and unaffected by the undiscovered horrors.

"Uncle, you're the only person other than the Avatar who can possibly defeat the Father Lord." Zuko says as I eat what is in my bowl.

"You mean the Fire Lord" Toph snickers. "That's what I said!" Zuko exclaims, before turning to his Uncle.

"Hmm.." Iroh mumbles as he strokes his beard. "We need you to come with us!" Zuko exclaims, causing Iroh to shake his head. " No, Zuko, it won't turn out well." he sighs.

"You can beat him! And we'll be there to help." Zuko says, a look of hope on his face.

"Even if I did defeat Ozai,  and I don't know that I could, it would be the wrong way to end the war. History would see it as just more senseless violence, a brother killing a brother to grab power. The only way for this war to end peacefully is for the Avatar to defeat the Fire Lord." Iroh explains, making Zuko look into his bowl.

"And then ... then you would come and take your rightful place on the throne?" Zuko asks, causing Iroh to spit another mouthful of wisdom filled words.

"No. Someone new must take the throne. An idealist with a pure heart and unquestionable honor. It has to be you, Prince Zuko." Iroh says, making the group look up with surprise.