we are (not) strangers

⠀⠀⠀"Hm, Sir Hyakuya, you are here without an escort? Did you and your father have a quarrel that concludes with you bending his strict policies?"

⠀⠀⠀"Shinoa, not now."

⠀⠀⠀Laughing, the violet-haired female twirls her pinned-up strands in between her finger and keeps her smirk bright and sharp. She glanced up, down, and behind her friend with an exaggerated hand in a straight formation as if searching for someone, but nothing in sight besides normal civilians strolling passed them with nothing more than a nervous expression. She notices how far away they were walking around them, leaving more than enough space for the two to outstretch their arms as they roamed the shopping district. Her eyes rolled back in a dramatic fashion, "Ah, so I was right?"

⠀⠀⠀"I recall you asking me to come with you to look for some dresses for Mitsuba's party, not me giving you worthless information."

⠀⠀⠀"Yuu-san, you're so mean to me today."

⠀⠀⠀"I wouldn't have to be if you would just listen to me and get going," Yuichiro protested with an agitated look, eyes narrowed along with his lips forming into a thin line. He didn't have a twinge of desire to speak of his affairs with the teasing female that he calls his best friend, for it would only lead to her, well, teasing him and possibly create him to do or say something ridiculous. He heavily sighed and gently ushered Shinoa towards the clothing tents, mindful of her sly laughter.

⠀⠀⠀"I am going to take that as a yes," Shinoa said with a snort— a very unattractive gesture for such a high-ranked lady in society. "But even so, isn't it a bit much for you to come out here without so much as an escort? It is dangerous world out here, not to mention that you are Colonel Guren's only son and anyone could just come up and steal that life of yours within a flash."

⠀⠀⠀Yuichiro grunted with disinterest, eyes dull as they wandered up and down the dresses that were on display under the tents. They owned multiple layers of fabric underneath what seemed to be more colorless ones, and the male narrowed his eyes at how complex they looked, wondering how Shinoa could wear such a large piece of clothing every day of her royal life. His eyes caught a golden piece of material, [ fake ] gems sparkled the chest area and down to the wrist in a spiral-like fashion, and he mentally wondered whether his friend would like it despite its lack of credibility and price.

⠀⠀⠀He had almost forgotten to respond if it were not for the light shove on his arm, causing him to crane his neck and catch Shinoa's expression of caution. He shrugged, "Fine, we got into a bit of a disagreement, but besides, I don't need an escort out here— none of these puny civilians would have the skills to defeat me in battle."

⠀⠀⠀"My, my, such an optimistic man."

⠀⠀⠀"Anyway, where is your escort, hm?"

⠀⠀⠀"Oh, Shikamadoji? I let her wander off since I don't particularly need her, but you know, Mahiru insists I take one just in case," Shinoa stopped to look at the golden dress Yuichiro was just admiring and pursed her lips. "But I'm serious, Yuu-san, you should take an escort when you're out in the village before something bad happens... I don't want you to get hurt over something as not taking an escort."

⠀⠀⠀When the raven didn't reply, the female gave a frown and suppressed an irritated sigh that would destroy the silence around them and instead began to march away from the dress tent. Puzzled, he followed her clamping steps away from the rows of tents and soon found themselves exiting the shopping district and towards—