we are (not) foes

⠀⠀⠀Mikaela and Yuichiro continued on the path before them, the recent prints of the horses' hooves still freshly engraved upon the dirt trail. It was a quiet, almost silent journey to the meeting between the West Kingdoms Alliance except for the soft occasional neighing of the horses, mostly Princess. Mikaela trailed behind his master, his eyes sharp and alert in hopes it would distract him from the forlorn, desolate emotion he was currently trying not to feel. It was so peculiar... to feel such a thing after a mere rejection that wasn't even meant to be truthful.

⠀⠀⠀Cold, ruthless eyes creeped away from the ocean of forestry trees in order to land upon the young noble, his head just as downcast and void of pride. Yuichiro stared with emptiness at his hands, fingers still pruned from absorbing too much water. After an hour traveling, eventually their clothes naturally dried, thankfully due to the sun's warm rays. Mikaela tried not to watch the raven-haired male for too long, but it was difficult not to; after all, he was the reason for his sudden change in mood. The man noted with importance to never say anything that would bring his noble to such a mood.

⠀⠀⠀Luckily, the kingdom they were holding congress within was the Northwest Kingdom run by King Crowley, a wealthy and well-respected man who was very known for throwing his own festive events. Mikaela could see in the near distance their own soldiers standing just beyond the large, cobblestone-created gates. The men looked more than exhausted, many deciding to lean against their horses as they ate their rations and consumed their pocket of water.

⠀⠀⠀When Yuichiro approaches them, one of the soldiers sighs with agitation, "Sir Yuichiro, where have you been, with all due respect? King Crowley wouldn't allow us inside for the meeting until you arrived."

⠀⠀⠀Sheepishly, the raven grinned and hopped off of his horse, "I'm sorry. Princess felt a bit fatigued with such a long travel here. We can join them now."

⠀⠀⠀As Yuichiro began to make his towards the gate, with Mikaela just right behind him, the large, tall bronze-colored doors bursted ajar, revealing a crimson-haired man with sharp yet alluring eyes. The man wore a well-made robe with puffs of what appeared to be wolf pelt around the edges, a long, gold-encrusted amulet that hung lazily around his neck; in addition, there was no ignoring the obvious crown graced upon his head, ruby jewels gleaming as the afternoon sunlight glistened on it. Yuichiro smiled at the sight, immediately recognizing the man as Crowley. Beside him, his daughter, Krul, stood with her posture straight as could be, hands neatly in front of her as she kept her chin up.

⠀⠀⠀Guren always spoke of their marriage.

⠀⠀⠀"Ah, Guren's beloved son, how are you doing on this fair evening?" Crowley asked, still stood at the base of the staircase with his hands on his hips. "You're just on time. We are about to begin— the other lovely West Kingdoms are present, eager to see you, of course."

⠀⠀⠀Yuichiro made his way up to greet the king, head bowing down in respect. Mikaela followed suit as he, too, bowed his own head in gesture of reverence. A glimmer of interest appeared within Crowley's amber gaze, a smile forming on his lips as he inspected Mikaela slowly, head to toe, admiring his beauty and well-toned frame. "And... who may this be? I can only assume this is your escort— the one that can... fight, yes?"

⠀⠀⠀"That is correct, King Crowley," Yuichiro says quickly. An unsettling sensation in his stomach rises as the man continues to inspect the other blond.

⠀⠀⠀"I am very, very intrigued," Crowley speaks in a deep voice. "If I we're you, I may have done the same thing— spend all I am allowed to have on such a rare thing. A slave that knows how to fight. It's an interesting concept, but a dangerous one at that. Who knows what this thing is capable of doing to you when you're unaware and defenseless."