are we (not)?

⠀⠀⠀When Yuichiro woke up the following morning, he realized that not only did he oversleep, but Mikaela wasn't there to get him up. His vision was blurry as he sat up upon his bed, arms above his head with a stretch as a yawn escaped between parted lips. As soon as he was about to leave the comfort of his sheets, a small and barely audible clearing of a throat caught his attention. Turning his head towards his door, the prince laid his eyes upon a familiar face.

⠀⠀⠀"Akane," Yuichiro said with surprise. "Ah, I mean, good morning. Is there something wrong?"

⠀⠀⠀Akane stood frozen solid in front of the door, her spine achingly straight. She bit the bottom of her lip worryingly, and by the looks of it, Yuichiro found traces of her lack of sleep. Looking away, Akane began softly.

⠀⠀⠀"I apologize, Sir."

⠀⠀⠀Yuichiro cocked his head, puzzled.

⠀⠀⠀"Why are you apologizing?"

⠀⠀⠀"I... I know that—"

⠀⠀⠀"Ah— sorry to interrupt, but where is Mika? Shouldn't he be awake by now? He's usually not one to oversleep. Could you go get him for me?"

⠀⠀⠀"Yuu." Akane stiffly cried, her eyes filling with evident sorrow. "Mika is gone. He ran off."

⠀⠀⠀At that moment, Yuichiro could feel his blood run cold. His heart felt as though it was slowing down— it felt like time was slowing down. It was as if the entire world around him was stopping. The oxygen in his lungs ceased flow, and his eyes bulged out of its sockets. All he could think within his mind was, this can't be happening.

⠀⠀⠀"No... no..." Yuichiro muttered uselessly. "That can't be true... Akane, noAkane, he told me he would tell me when he was leaving."

⠀⠀⠀"I am so sorry, Yuu. But he's gone."

⠀⠀⠀"No... no! Mika wouldn't do that to me! He wouldn't lie to me and leave me without a word! Mika wouldn't!" Yuichiro hissed, his pupils in skits as he glared at the female before him. But his anger wasn't directed at her. Akane knew that. The boiling within his core could only be directed towards the man he calls his lover— the one who left him without a word. And even then, the fury is not and will never be enough to overpower the infinite love he felt for that man. "Please... tell me that you are lying... Mika would never do this... not to me."

⠀⠀⠀Akane hugged her body, sending him a solemn expression once more. "I'm so sorry."

⠀⠀⠀"He left me... without a word."

⠀⠀⠀"But Mika didn't." Akane sniffed. The statement caught Yuichiro's attention, the tears in his eyes cascading down his cheeks and falling off his chin. "Mika didn't leave you without saying that he loved you, Yuu. I don't know how to take that, considering you and him are men and the fact that you will be marrying Princess Krul very soon. But I trust you— I carry his message to you in whichever context.

⠀⠀⠀"He told me that he loves you, and he doesn't want you to forget, nor does he want you to give up on him. Mika told me... that he would come back to you, Yuu." Akane cried, her own emotions hitting her as well.

⠀⠀⠀A month after Mikaela left, Yuichiro knew he wasn't himself. The entire kingdom knew this, too. The prince lacked his usual cheery self; a smile seeming to never grace his lips anymore. A scowl settled as a replacement, and he took things more strictly than before. Yuichiro knew in his mind that he was a changed person— what he didn't know was whether he would forever remain this way.

⠀⠀⠀A year later, things began to change within the little town. Yuichiro barely went out to greet his people, nor did he ever leave the premises of the castle. His excuse was that he didn't have an escort. But everyone knew better than that. There were plenty of other slaves that could become the escort he needed.

⠀⠀⠀He just didn't have Mikaela.

⠀⠀⠀Two years later, the arranged marriage occurred. Yuichiro was now the king of the West Kingdom, and his queen was now known as Krul Ichinose. The now-crowned king attempted to suppress the blooming agony within his chest as soon as the priest announced their forever linked souls, his body maneuvering on its own as he and Krul met half-way to kiss each other sweetly. All Yuichiro could remember that day was how wrong it felt.

⠀⠀⠀Another year later, Yuichiro could feel the stress of being king wear off. His life was becoming a slow and steady cycle where every day was the same. He had papers to sign, men to train, and meetings to attend to on a regular basis. Yuichiro tried to be a loving king to his queen— Krul could see this, too— but it only left an unsettling feeling in his stomach. One night, Krul found him crying into his hands, and he couldn't hold it back any longer.

⠀⠀⠀Yuichiro had told her that he wasn't into women. His apologies were never-ending. He could see by the look in Krul's eyes that she was trying to be sympathetic, but it came out as more along the lines of disgust. In the end, Krul began seeing another noble behind the scenes.

⠀⠀⠀They vowed to keep their secrets concealed.

⠀⠀⠀And now, five years have passed. His role as the king has finally settled. Yuichiro, every now and then, would ask his father for any advice on how to care for the kingdom. Luckily, Guren changed— the king could sense the pride in his father's voice as he advised helping the village more and trying to find more allies. Yuichiro always took the things his father said seriously, trying to keep a goal in mind.

⠀⠀⠀Within these many years, Yuichiro and Krul kept their marriage dull. Their love was displayed when it was needed and disposed of when it wasn't. The king wanted to laugh. He didn't know— didn't remember what love felt like. Whenever he thought of Mikaela, he felt his heart throb with agony.

⠀⠀⠀But one day, sitting upon his throne, Yuichiro was given a letter by Akane. Her chest heaved as if she were filled with anxiety, eyes bulging slightly. Her hands shook as she laid the letter within the palm of his hand. All she said was, "You have been invited to a party among all kings and queens."

⠀⠀⠀Confusion edged his voice as he asks, "What is this for?"

⠀⠀⠀Akane held her breath.

⠀⠀⠀"It is to celebrate a new king."